Network Quality Monitor

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Network Quality Monitor

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Raunoa Raunoa 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Raunoa
    Raunoa
    Participant

This is a super advanced request, maybe for geeks only, but it would be nice to have.

I had a situation this week in a theater where I initially thought my computer had a buffer size error because the sound cracked at least once per show, though only for a maximum of one second. However, after investigating the problem and testing what was happening, I discovered that the installed cable in the house was quite long and perhaps not the best quality. Everything worked, but I noticed that my controller sometimes slowed down and delayed loading the EQ page or FX layer. It was during these times that the “buffering” error sound occurred because my computer was connected to my controller via a Waves card, which had to travel through a CAT cable to the stage where it was connected to the PA system.

I only received an error icon once, but the buffer error occurred multiple times. I believe the dLive solution already has the data to monitor network quality, but it would be helpful to display the Network Quality somewhere or even provide a chart in real time. This would give us a very clear overview

In short, it would have been helpful to see how good or bad the connection was at that time.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The GigaACE connection already has a quality monitor. A very basic one, but it’s there.

All other networks are mostly outside the system. You can monitor them with something else…

Profile photo of Raunoa
    Raunoa
    Participant

You can see the network status between the console and the stagebox, whether it’s OK or not, but it’s unclear how stable the connection actually is or if there’s a need for concern. Personally, I’ve encountered situations where a status of ‘OK’ wasn’t consistently accurate, so it would be helpful to have additional information indicating the quality level. Something that tells you, ‘You’re operating at this level of quality, so be cautious.’ 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.