ME1 lite version or AES50 protocol

Forums Forums ME Forums ME feature suggestions ME1 lite version or AES50 protocol

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John-S John-S 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

The awesome power of the ME1 is sometimes wasted when one is used for every musician/vocalist. Personally, my needs are not that great and using the ME1 is like bringing a machine gun to a knife fight. It is priced right for all its features but what if I need only a small percentage of those capabilities?

Would there be a market for a ME2 that would be a very stripped down version of the ME1? I am talking no display, no bells and whistles. Only the first 16 channels can be mixed by the user but still be able to intermix with ME1 in the same system utilizing power over ethernet. Nice big area for a tape scribble strip. It would functions very much like the Aviom A16II but be priced very much like the Behringer IEM mixers.

I would be satisfied if the monitor output on the AR2412 were AES50 compatible. Is AES50 protocol an open standard without royalties? Does having the A-Net protocol contractually preclude A&H from including AES50?

I am aware the Avioms are inter-compatible and they are available on the used market for $275 to $325 each. If A&H can make a simple IEM mixer or incorporate AES50 protocol it would make IEMs cheaper. I imagine a ME2 lite would sell a lot of units.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
    John

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi John

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with AES50 is that it transmits the audio clock separately from the data, making it incompatible with standard Ethernet, at the hardware level. Allowing the AR2412 to output AES50 would mean new hardware that broke compatibility with ME-1/AviomĀ®.
    As for the ME-1, you are right that removing the screen would save some of the cost, but any software savings in the unit (e.g. no setup menus, fixed channel map) wouldn’t really have an impact on the parts cost.

Cheers

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of papromike
    papromike
    Participant

John, thats the issue with AES-50, If you’re running AES 50, you’ll need the Klark Technic DN9650 to convert to a more universal language.

You could Use a 9650 with Dante and then send to a ME-U HUB, just remember that the KT cards are only 32 channel interfaces, but if youre trying to “limit” the channels anyway, that will work just fine.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Personally, I own a GLD80 system that is decently pimped out minus IEM mixers. I have only two Aviom mixers now.

I advise for a smallish church with two sites. They are going IEMs. I would need five each for a total of 10 units. Comparing web prices between the ME1 and the P16M is $6500 vs $2500, a $4k difference. I am aware the capabilities and differences so those do not need reinforcing here. What our church needs for IEMs are about 10 to 12 channels. Also I would live with the incompatibility of AES50 and the A&H protocol for the price difference.

A&H have set a precedence for offering a down market digital mixer with their QU16 compared to their GLD and I-live offerings. It seems to follow on that a compatible down market IEM would bolster sales of their QU16 mixer. That $4000 difference will more than buy me a whole mixer of whatever brand I choose. I am sure the other company put in allot of software engineering too but the mixers are presented at an attractive price point. Especially if you need to buy into their whole ecosystem. I am sure the less expensive IEM mixers are selling by the container load. What is unattractive about that?

The price drop of the GLD was a reaction to something and I assume it is the competition from that entry level board offered by the competition. I was just thinking/hoping that A&H might offer a low line IEM mixer to augment their QU mixer.

I do enjoy my GLD80 system. Thank you for a great product.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.