Listen Bus / PAFL on Fader

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Listen Bus / PAFL on Fader

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thelmuth
    thelmuth
    Participant

I have an SQ5. I want to be able to control the headphones and monitors volume separately, while keeping the master L/R fader. This is in our broadcast room and they mostly mix using headphones, but sometimes need/want the monitors and the video switcher operator would like to hear monitors at a low level. This replaced an X32 which had individual rotaries for the headphones and monitors. We miss that feature.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

a real bummer would be to separate the monitor and the PAFL

and it applies to all A&H consoles (ok on dLive it is possible to configure it close to)

Profile photo of Hugo
    Hugo
    Participant

Hi,
    it’s possible !
    Go to setup > Mixer Config > Role and click on Listen Level.

Then your “+1” fader (full right) is your volume for monitoring.
    To control the headphones level use on board rotaries πŸ˜‰

thelmuth
    Participant

Hi,
    it’s possible !
    Go to setup > Mixer Config > Role and click on Listen Level.

Then your β€œ+1” fader (full right) is your volume for monitoring.
    To control the headphones level use on board rotaries πŸ˜‰

I did find that yesterday, but in doing so I lost my Main L/R fader. I would like to keep L/R where it is and assign a different channel strip for Listen Bus.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

You can assign the main mix to any fader layer. So you can have both faders the same on the surface. If you need more, switch to a SQ6 or SQ7 because there you can assign the listen level to a soft encoder.

thelmuth
    Participant

You can assign the main mix to any fader layer. So you can have both faders the same on the surface. If you need more, switch to a SQ6 or SQ7 because there you can assign the listen level to a soft encoder.

We just purchased this 30 days after purchasing an X32, NOT buying another one, thanks.

I will probably end up going this route with the L/R fader, but Steffan gave me something else to try first in the other thread. I won’t be able to get there until tonight, or maybe tomorrow.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@thelmuth

not buying another which ??

why ??

thelmuth
    Participant

Not buying an SQ6 or SQ7 to replace a brand new SQ5

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I personally run my monitors at home via a Mackie big knob passive. The first reason is to avoid plopps on switching the console on or of, because the SQ do not have any output relay. Second it gives me a second instance of controlling the monitor level. And finally it gives me a mono switch and a second source. I use such controller whenever I use a console at home, whether it my SQ6, my dLive or any other console.

So at the moment I see three possible solutions
    1) replace the mixer to one which fulfill the needs in a better way.
    2) use an external monitor controller to control the monitor level
    3) place the Main fader and bus faders on one or all layers and use the main fader for the listen level.

thelmuth
    Participant

I went with option 3. Set mixer as Monitor Mixer and put a L/R fader on a channel strip. Not how I want it to work, but I’m sure we’ll get used to it.

Just have to think things through sometimes when it’s something different than I have done before.

I still think the ability to put a listen fader on a channel strip would be a good feature though.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

OK, I have to describe more exactly what I want/suggest (and discussed with Tim on the other thread)

In broadcast situations you have the broadcast feed
    and it is very helpful to assign this feed always to the monitoring outputs (to have level control in the room)
    and send this to the local listening devices(speakers) and adding communication to that (ext in via the bus)

but to interrupt these signal with PAFL would be very annoying for the people around (and kill the communication)
    so it would be a great idea to have the PAFL on headphones only (or on a separated bus to send it to external equipment)
    and the monitor out only with the program signal (all mixes?)

And this would allow many studio owners to handle some monitor situations more easily
    and adding a switchable assignment to the monitor would allow to replace a monitor controller in most situations

maybe it is possible to implement this as new roles
    broadcast and studio?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.