Input Splitting in QU

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Input Splitting in QU

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of WaihekeSoundie
    WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Hey guys,
    Is there anyway to split the input signal in a QU16 pre-eq so I can send my monitor sends to a separate desk for EQ?
    I suspect not. Only thing that comes close is to send out to ME personal monitor units over the DSnake but that is OTT for what I’m looking to do which is create wedge sends that are not effected by FOH changes to EQ?

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

The answer to your question is in Section 9.9 of the manual (p.40 of the version 9 manual). You can select Post Preamp if you do not want the HPF and Gate settings as well as EQ to affect the mix, or you can select Pre-EQ, if do do want the EQ settings to be applied to the mix.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

How many channels available on your desk? How many in use? How many spare?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Or you can burn channels using a stage box too multiply patch.

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Thanks guys,
    @DoctorG– thanks. I had been thinking of the problem in direct out terms but I could dedicate a separate mix send (pre-eq) for each channel I want to EQ for monitors I guess. Indeed I could patch those back into the QU if I had enough channels but I’m typically running the desk pretty full with bands with up to 4 vox, drums etc.

@[XAP]Bob — yep, thinking that a stage box split of the stage returns to send to another desk is the way to go.

Thanks

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Or you can burn channels using a stage box too multiply patch.

What do you mean by this Bob ? (Trying to pick up tricks and terminology here)

Giga

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Multiply is a touchscreen utoscrewup… multiple…

You can patch stagebox inout 1 to two channels on the desk, and handle them differently for different purposes (lead vocalist, and speech making maybe)

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Or you can patch to channels on separate desks such as a monitor mix desk (as is my need). That “patch” can be done with Y cables / snakes or (best) with splitter boxes either passive (transformer based) or active. Ideally using splitter boxes that have ground lifts to eliminate hums that can occur if you are splitting to h/w on different power supplies.
    That’s my understanding anyway. Others are better informed.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yep. Qu isn’t designed for a separate monitor environment though…

You can use iPads/android + midi controller to make a pseudo monitor desk, but by the time you are fussy about different we for monitors and doh I’m going to hazard a guess you either have IEMs (and can suggest the ME1) or two engineers and I’m going to suggest a gld?

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Thanks– no IEMs and no separate engineer but I would like to stabilise my monitor mixes from gain and eq changes I may need to make to FOH as a show progresses.. (Also though I hate to admit it–seperating would prevent me making accidental changes to the wrong layer when working quickly during a long, noisy show- has happened). I have an old MixWiz 14:4:2 that could work well for this- just a matter of getting it the signals. All good. Thanks.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ok. I kind of see what you’re getting ah. You shouldn’t be adjusting preamp gain during a show if you can help it… the best you can do on the QU is to pipe the inputs to the mix outputs very early (I think he tap point is selectable up to pre-eq?

WaihekeSoundie
    Participant

Yeh, thanks I know you shouldn’t be changing gain during a show– however sometimes I find that a player has cranked themselves up to the point that the headroom I had allowed was not enough. Leave more headroom I guess — I do that but even so I get caught out sometimes.
    And yep I can send the mixes out pre-eq but that’s lot of mixes used up if I use one for each channel or type of instrument I might want to eq separately.
    Buy a GLD or split before the mixer 🙂

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Shoot the musician. It’s cheaper.

Or make sure they’re maxed at all times on their instrument.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

I have some rack mount iso splitters for sale, 4 channels per rack unit, I think I have 8 of them left.
    Each Channel has in, out, iso out with it’s own ground lift and pad.
    We had a full snake split for our FOH to a TV room but upgraded to GLD and split with Dante now when needed.
    I’ll add the model number and other info when I get back to the church in little less than two hours.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.