IEM Systeem psm900 of I'm G4 on the SQ5

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions IEM Systeem psm900 of I'm G4 on the SQ5

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of peterzoetermeer peterzoetermeer 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of peterzoetermeer
    peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hi, I have a question, it does not entirely have to do with the SQ5, but because I have an SQ5 I will post it here 🙂 I am not completely satisfied with the sound of IEM system, I have a G4 IEM , but I recently heard a PSM 900, I really thought it was great, a lot of power, and bass and a lot of headroom, that’s what it sounded like, my question is, could you pimp something out in the settings of the SQ5, or is it just the PSM900? better audio? wall then it means that I have to switch to a PSM900, although I think the system looks a bit dated, but good is good of course 🙂

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Did you use the same ear buds with the PSM900 as you do with the G4 system?
    Lots of unknown variables unless the PSM900 was directly changed out in place of the G4 system on your SQ.
    On paper the G4 actually specs a frequency response down to 25hz where the PSM900 is something in the middle 30hz range, there’s a lot to it though than few hz at the lower end of the range.

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

As with Mike C, I sort of doubt the issue is as simple as the PSM900 “being better.” We have multiple G4 IEM systems in use (on our GLD board) and have no complaints (although our bass player does not use one). Not saying the G4 isn’t the source of the problem but worth going through some troubleshooting steps.

Was the PSM you used plugged into the same aux jack on the SQ that your G4 was and using the exact same mix and earbuds? Have you tried plugging a simple headphone amplifier into your IEM mix aux jack and see how it sounds with as simple a setup as possible? Maybe something like the Behringer P2 IEM Amp?

What does the audio level look like coming into the G4 transmitter and on the pack when looking at the AF levels? Is the signal hot enough coming in?
    Are you running stereo into the G4 transmitter if not have you set the pack to Mono/Focus mode and panned correctly?
    Have you toggled some of the advanced settings on the pack (limiter, volume boost)?
    Have you plugged headphones directly into the front of the G4 transmitter to see what the signal sounds like getting to the unit from the SQ?
    What do those headphones sound like if plugged in the the PFL jack on the board and the mix/channel is solo’d?

I would treat this very methodically. Test with the same headphones each step in the signal chain and see where/if it’s acceptable and ensure those headphones provide the desired type of sound elsewhere (i.e. on the PSM900).

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

Hello, I use Westone Ears, and I just borrowed the PSM 900 today, only it comes with a beltpack of a PSM1000, I must honestly say that the Shure can be a lot louder, it is not necessary, but because it can be louder it has more dynamic in the sound because it can make more peaks, I am now trying to get more output with an EQ Curve on the g4, but unfortunately, it does not sound as good as the PSM900, the IEM G4 distorts a bit at high power in the audio, I think I want to much 🙂 from my g4 I think

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I don’t think anyone should be surprised that there is a difference in sound quality between the two systems. They are not equal systems simply being sold by different manufactures. The Shure P900 is a higher quality system with a corresponding higher price than the g4 system (about 50% more expensive). I would expect it to sound better with more headroom. The P1000 is going to sound even better. And no, I don’t think there is anything you can do on the console side to make up for or compensate for this difference.

Long story short, the G4 is fine for the average user, but the P9 and P10 systems are better and more appropriate in some situations.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

thank you, yes, I already thought it thx, I have a Sennheiser Skm 6000, which I personally think is better than an Axient, but I like everything from one brand, so I would have needed to be able to fix something 🙂 but then it has to be done a psm900 system under my sennheiser digital 6000,

Profile photo of Some1else
    Some1else
    Participant

I am running two Sennheiser IEM G4 with Stereo Mixes on my SQ5. I ve got no issues with missing low ends. EQ on the Monitor Mixes is completely flat.

peterzoetermeer
    Participant

I have buy now a PSM 900 with a P10R+ Beltpack ,I really like the sound

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.