I believe there is a typo in the A&H info

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions I believe there is a typo in the A&H info

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Hello fellow SQ users!

I noticed two pages that seem to have conflicting info about setting optimum levels on the preamp.

I’ve attached pictures below.

Feel free to correct me if I’ve misunderstood.

Thanks for your input!

Dave

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of SQuser
    SQuser
    Participant

No, there is no contradiction because dBfs and dB are not the same thing.

A value of +6dBfs is not possible, because 0dBfs is the absolute maximum.
    The specification -6dBfs therefore means that there is still 6dB of headroom until digital clipping.

The other recommendation +6dB refers to the SQ’s meters, which are similar to an analog console.
    There is a value of 0dB (which corresponds to -18dBfs) and at +6dB you still have 12dB reserve for surprises before it clips.
    This is a sensible value.

I don’t know where we could see dBfs on the SQ.
    If the article was based on the SQ, it would have been better to write 12 to 18dB instead of 0 to -6dBfs.

See also page 113 in the manual.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Ah, thanks SQuser – thanks for pointing me in the right direction – it makes sense to me now.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Cheers!

Dave

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@dave

Nice spot! You’re right, I believe those were articles for different products and got moved, but more generally (they are under ‘General’ now after all…) we don’t use dBFS and so 0dB to +6dB for peaks is a pretty good input level to aim for.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, we’ve updated the incorrect article.
    Keith.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.