How to send midi clock to SQ?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions How to send midi clock to SQ?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andre S Andre S 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Hi there, it’s my first post here.
    I would like to sync delay FX tempo on my SQ5 to one of my keyboards, e.g. Yamaha Montage. As there is no MIDI-in socket on SQ (which is very strange to me), could you please explain what would be the best way to send MIDI clock from Montage to SQ?
    Many thanks

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the SQ is primary a live sound mixer

it resides on the FOH position and the midi equipment mostly resides on the stage
    so to build in a MIDI socket would be useless in many cases
    but you can send midi messages over the network via TCP

but the internal delays can’t sync on midi clock at this time…

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Thanks for your response. Would you suggest using an external delay unit? It’s not a problem, by the way – I just checking opportunities ets. I only waiting for my SQ – it hasn’t arrived yet..
    …but does it mean the internal delay FX only relays on tap tempo, which has to be done at FOH?

SteffenR
    Participant

we had a discussion on this in the last weeks on this
    but can’t find it at the moment…

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

If the mixer will be on stage, you could use a footswitch to tap the tempo, as a temporary workaround.

SteffenR
    Participant

global tap: MIDI synchronisation?

that was a related discussion

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hi Steffen,
    that is correct, but I´m just trying to give infos on a workaround and the subject in general.

@nemydom
    Midi data can also be send via USB. If you have a midi to USB converter you should be able to control the softkeys from your keyboard, for example, and assign global tempo to one of these controlled softkeys.

Btw, there is a SQ Midi Protocol manual, if you havn´t already read it:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ-MIDI-Protocol-Issue2.pdf

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Thanks Steffen.
    Thanks Andre, but I would prefer to allocate a physical “send” and a pair of returns to use my Eventide or Strymon delay in that case.. At least they both have midi and it’s unlikely to get in a situation where the delay is completely out of sync. Also, I am predicting the delay’s sound quality of Eventide/Strymon will be way better than the SQ’s plugin…Thanks for your videos, by the way. Watching every single one :))

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Hey Nemydom,

great to hear! Since I still need more than 800 subscriptions to get somewhere near the youtube monetarisation zone, every support is
    greatly appriciated. It would be nice to create a little income in these times…so spread the word, brother!

I can see why you want to use strymons or eventides. Those sound great. But maybe you like the delays inside the SQ as well. There are two new delay plug ins available. Echo (a tape echo sim) and Bucket Brigade (vintage delay unit sim).
    And if ease of use and getting a quick setup is important to you, you might find the delays in the SQ as absolutely sufficent.

Cheers mate.

Profile photo of Nemydom
    Nemydom
    Participant

Andre, I can post a link to your videos on a couple of non-English pro-sound forums. I will do that.

Profile photo of Andre S
    Andre S
    Participant

Nemydom, that´s very of you! Thank you very much!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.