global tap: MIDI synchronisation?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions global tap: MIDI synchronisation?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mishu123 mishu123 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of woutersnoei
    woutersnoei
    Participant

Hi guys,

working a bit at home (as we all do now 😉 ) on an electronic live setup I was wondering if there could be an option added to make the global tap listen to MIDI sync? I.e. it would be possible to match the tempo of a running DAW? I guess it could already be done by triggering the soft button linked to the tap function via MIDI, but I think a lot of people would find it much easier to sync the mixer’s delays via the standard MIDI sync protocol, emitted by almost every DAW I know, both for studio and live applications.

cheers & thanks,
    Wouter

Profile photo of ianbuss
    ianbuss
    Participant

Yes!

60% of my shows are remote / tablet operations. So I’m not actually at the console a good amount of the time. I would love to be able to accept MIDI Clock over Ethernet from the drums. That can feed into a MIDI Sequencer to send my desired Global Tap Tempo.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi guys,

Unfortunately (and I would also love this!) it’s not possible due to the interrupts required.
    We spent some time looking into it, and found that it would negatively affect the speed of other operations and could cause issues.
    The MIDI control of Soft Keys actually came about as a solution for this (and of course enabled ‘by-proxy’ MIDI control of many other operations too).

Hopefully we can revisit this sometime though 🙂

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of woutersnoei
    woutersnoei
    Participant

Thanks Keith, good to know that you have at least tried :-). An alternative idea; would it be possible to make the global tempo controllable via a direct midi message (nrpn or controller) to set the actual tempo value? I tried doing it with “virtually” tapping a soft button, but it seems very unstable especially with network MIDI. If we could set it directly via one simple message that would already make life a lot easier.. (at least my life, which is highly based on tempo synced delays 😉 )

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey Wouter,

Nice thought – it’s on the list 😉

Thanks!
    Keith.

Profile photo of dcarmich
    dcarmich
    Participant

When I evaluated an SQ-5 for my studio I used a custom MaxForLive device to translate tempo information from Ableton Live into the specific note number assigned to the SoftKey for Global Tap.

Profile photo of mishu123
    mishu123
    Participant

Hi @dcarmich
    could you be more specific on that or maybe share your device? I am totally new to Max4Live and I wouldn’t know where to start. Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.