How hot do you push your gains?

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions How hot do you push your gains?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lee7 Lee7 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave71
    Dave71
    Participant

Just interested on how hot you push your gains. Was just playing around with the Auto Gain assistant at home and found it was pushing the gain up higher than i would normally go with my level peaking at about +8/10db in the meters. Was just using a mic, talking reasonably loud with quite a consistent level with the occasional louder bit. Had my headphone on and still sounded nice and clean.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

The Auto Gain will only raise levels to around 0.db, I found that in a live environment that it wasn’t just quite enough, so I tend to run slightly hotter without any problems.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Truth told gain structure involves more than the console alone: the capabilities of a companion speaker system plays a critical role in the need to push input gain at the console. When a, similar to the CQ desk, budget friendly speaker system is deployed at a noisy gig nothing beneficial can come from it.
    Unfortunately this conundrum is prevalent with many start up bands and acceptance of the fact that their role of providing elevator music is impossible to overcome with additional DBs: be an increase from either the desk or more powerful speakers.
    The amount of speaker delivery power needs to be calibrated with a given venue’s nomenclature and adjusted pursuant to need with the speakers: never beyond the optimum gain level set at the console!
    Hugh

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Truth told gain structure involves more than the console alone: the capabilities of a companion speaker system plays a critical role in the need to push input gain at the console. When a, similar to the CQ desk, budget friendly speaker system is deployed at a noisy gig nothing beneficial can come from it.
    Unfortunately this conundrum is prevalent with many start up bands and acceptance of the fact that their role of providing elevator music is impossible to overcome with additional DBs: be an increase from either the desk or more powerful speakers.
    The amount of speaker delivery power needs to be calibrated with a given venue’s nomenclature and adjusted pursuant to need with the speakers: never beyond the optimum gain level set at the console!
    Hugh

You should never “push input gain” in a effort to increase the output gain because your speaker system isn’t up to the task IMHO. If you need to add gain somewhere in the signal process for this situation, it should be done at the output stage, not the input stage.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@Hugh this 👆️

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.