Fx to Mix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Fx to Mix

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GG
    GG
    Participant

I have Vocals on CH1 and CH2. Mix 1 is sent to Vocal 1 and Mix 2 is sent to Vocal 2 for monitors. On FX1 sends CH1 and CH2 are turned up, they share same type of effects.
    With LR pressed, on layer 2 Master FX1 send is up and FX1 return is also up for FX1 in FOH. I like to control FX1 in FOH with master FX1 return.
    I want to send FX1 only to Mix 2.
    With Mix 2 pressed, on layer 2 I turn up master FX1 return up and I get FX1 on Mix 2. Why do I also get FX1 on Mix 1, when on layer 2 with Mix 1 pressed the FX1 master return is down.
    I only want to send FX1 to Mix 2, without effecting Mix one. How can I do this?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You shouldn’t – the FX return is like a normal routeable channel.

You could try unassigning it from mix1 completely.

Profile photo of GG
    GG
    Participant

Bob, thanks for your reply. I am not sure I understand. I need CH1 & CH2 going to FX1 (bus) as I control amount of FX (FOH) with master FX return. I only have CH1 on Mix 1 and CH2 on Mix 2. But when I turn up master FX1 return for Mix2, the CH1 vocal also gets reverb and is heard on on Mix 2 Monitor. I am not sure if I am phrasing my question correctly.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

If you correct the phrase “they share same type of effects” from the original posting to “they share same effect”, you probably understand why the system behaves as it does.
    Just understand the four FX units as “real” outboard FX units. So, if you feed the sum of Ch1+Ch2 to FX1, the output of FX1 obviously carries the wet signal from both inputs.
    If you do not want effects from Ch1 on Mix2 you simply need to use two FX units.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ah – you want split the reverb of vox1 out when you send it to monitors – you can’t.

You’ll need to burn two FX units to do that.

Picture the signal path – vox1&2 are both sent into the FX unit, and the output contains… Both. You can’t split it back again.

Profile photo of GG
    GG
    Participant

Andreas and Bob thanks for the replies. I think I understand what you guys are saying. But I feel my question is still not answered.

I am sending effects FX1 to Mix 2 and I am hearing FX1 on Mix 2. I am not sending any effects to Mix 1 (FX1 return Master fader on layer 2 for Mix 1 is down). Why am I hearing FX1 on Mix 1.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Can you post your scene on here or email it to us?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You shouldn’t hear fx on mix 1, but you will hear the Vox1 effects over mix2. If they are wedges on stage then the haas effect may well cause you to hear it from the “other” wedge.

To test simply mute mix2, and listen for the FX.
    Then mute mix1 instead and you’ll hear some of Vox1 – the FX for that channel being routed through mix2

You can still have single fader control if you use either FX1&2 or channel -> return, using FX3&4 which leaves 1&2 available for anything else, by using a DCA on the FX returns.

Profile photo of GG
    GG
    Participant

Bob, GCumbee and Andreas thank you all for your indulgence. All of you are correct. Sometime my pea brain just takes time to understand. Thank you again.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s ok – it’s one of those things that is more obvious (to me) when I picture the analogue setup which is being emulated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.