FX in iem

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions FX in iem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter la HayePeter la Haye
    Participant

Hi, maybe someone can give me a tip, try to explain it, I have now connected my ears to mix 1, from layer A, mix 1 on and the faders in place “It works” but now the following as on layer a for hall sound is slightly adjusted, and I have an Fx in use then change the Fx in my ears which becomes more or less “Reverb” this is normal because the request from the mic also provides the supply for FX, now I can You can’t solve this by adding an extra line microphone and then assigning it to the Mix 1 for the in-ear, but then you have to create an extra Fx for your IEM, now that is no problem, but then an extra fader is added. How can this be simpler? or what is the correct method? I have already tried a group but that doesn’t work well either

Profile photo of fabz27fabz27
    Participant

Hi. I’m not quiet sure if I understand your situation right. But can it be, that it’s a “Pre/post”-Thing?
    You’re feeding your IEM via an Aux-Send right? Is that possibly post fader and not pre fader?

Participant

yes, I find it difficult to explain, but you’re in the right place, yes on channel 1 my microphone, which goes to my in-ear, is selected on channel 1 and then routing, then the fx on post, I set it to pre then it works it’s actually the way I want it, but somehow it sounds less nice, it seems like it moves better with the vocal in post, is there any other method? Now if you turn up the mic, you also have to turn up the FX, I don’t know if someone also sings louder or you also have to turn up the FX?

Profile photo of BrianBrian
    Participant

When you are using your FX racks as busses (as opposed to using the FX rack as an “insert” on a single input), there are two places where the “pre/post” question has to be answered/accounted for: both on the sources going into the FX send buss, and then on the FX return busses (where ever they are being routed).

The first place is on each channel that you are sending to a FX send buss. In this example, you are sending the vocal channels that you want processed into that buss. I usually set the sends from each channel into this FX send buss as “post fader”. This pre/post option is set on each individual channel (ie the vocal channels in this case) that you are sending to the FX send buss. By setting the sends up for “post fader”, any changes to the vocal channel’s fader (ie turning them up/down in the mix) will also be adjusted appropriately for the FX send levels.

The second place is on the FX returns themselves. Usually these returns are routed directly to a vocal group or Main L/R mix (you obviously have this routed correctly since you hear the FX effects). I generally also set these up for post fader, but these fader only changes the overall level of FX heard in the mix. The fader does not change how much a particular input is being heard in the FX mix.

I suspect you are adjusting the pre/post setting of the “FX returns” only and have the individual sources going to the FX Sends set up for “prefader”. This would give you the results I think you are experiencing. Double check your individual channels – specifically the settings for the sends going out to the “FX Send busses” and make sure they are set up for “post fader”. I think you will get the results you are looking for.

Participant

I solved it in the following way,
    extra channel added “Copy” microphone than the
    Fx To DCA hall sound FX to main, and extra fx for the iems, also to the DCA and then turned off the main, which is good, I have exactly what I am looking for now

Profile photo of BrianBrian
    Participant

I’m glad you found a workable solution, but I am still a little confused on what the issue was.

Were you trying to send the same FX (vocal reverb for example) to both your FOH and IEM mix and you were having trouble controlling the levels while doing that? Or where you trying to send the vocal channels to two different FX slots – one for FOH reverb and one for IEM reverb and you were having trouble controlling the levels while doing that? Or was it something entirely different?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.