Footswitch

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions Footswitch

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lostape Lostape 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Hi how do I programme a footswithch to mute fx between songs.

Any one suggest a good reverb for a warm Ballard
    Regards

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

I use a Boss FS5 footswitch.

Just go into the config page and select ‘Control & Network’ tab, click the footswitch option far left and assign either the tip or ring to one of the many options that you’re presented with. Whichever FX you’re using, that is the one you need to assign the footswitch to control. As a backup I also assigned one of my soft keys to mute the FX.

I use the Space verb FX unit and utilise the Plate reverb option from within that FX rack, very nice sounding. The only downsides are, you have no way of eq’ing the FX return and you cannot add pre delay. Other than that, it is very nice sounding.

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Thank you. I utilised the soft key for fx
    My wife mixes for me and I need to make it as easy as possible for her lol I will be using it Saturday for first time so fingers crossed , she’s only just got used to a Bose t8. lol

Profile photo of Dave71
    Dave71
    Participant

Just following up on this with a question. Just got my CQ20 today and have been delving into all the functions.

I set up a soft button for all effx mute but as I’m playing bass, I can’t always get to the button so want to dump a switch at the singers/or my feet. Ideally I’d like a latching switch with an LED so he/I know if the effx are on or off.

Going forward I may end up with a double switch so the main vocal mic can be muted during instrumental sections – again a status LED would be paramount.

Question is, as there’s no ‘feedback’ to a simple switch for the actual mixer status, would I simply need to toggle the foot switch and soft button until the status’s are the same?

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@dave,

As I have my iPad on a stand in front of me, I can tell when the FX are muted as the Mute button on the screen will turn red, so with it doing that I don’t need a FS with an LED.

🙂

Profile photo of Dave71
    Dave71
    Participant

Mine will be close but not alsway in direct eye sight. if I give the singer the foot switch he’ll be oblivious (even more than usual)

I’ve also got my effx pedal and a custom 12 switch lighting control pedal – it’s a bit like riverdance as it is

Ordered a couple of double pole latching buttons to try

Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

Any updates on what switch you found? I wouldn’t mind having the same, a latching switch with an LED or possibly a pedal with more than 1.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

@gabo

I have just recently bought a Boss FS6 dual footswitch. I have set up one pedal to mute FX and the other to start/stop our intro/outro tracks on USB.

It has led’s so you know if the pedal is armed or not.

I bought this second hand off a friend who is selling all his equipment.

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/fs-6/

Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

Ah, looks like a Boss FS-7 is the best option. Can be set for either latching or non-latching and has an LED for when it’s “latched.”

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

So can the FS6, also, the FS7 needs to be powered by an external PSU.

Profile photo of gabo
    gabo
    Participant

Ah, thanks for that. I see the difference now.

Profile photo of BobbyDazzler59
    BobbyDazzler59
    Participant

Re footswitch and FX. So I want to use different FX scenarios but as informed band member and sound guy will realise there is limited options. As the keys player and sound guy too, as a minimum I want general reverb, double track and chorus as options plus mute fx overall PLUS the 4th rack space for uncontrolled drum reverb at least for now….SO…heres my configuration after hours of experimenting.

Rack 1 is the space verb with medium time release, large hall preset.
    Rack 2 is the chorus.
    Rack 3 is the double tracker.
    Rack 4 space reverb to which you do a simple sends to from drum inputs snare, HH, toms etc but not the kick.

Each effect HAS to have its send to LR up, id say at 3 oclock to start with.
    Now set your first vocal mic to the chorus by raising the send to of that mic to the chorus but not the reverb rack 1.
    Mute the chorus, then repeat the process for the double track. Once you have sufficient levels on the Main LR.
    Click on rack 1 space verb, open the send to tab, turn up the FX 3 level with FX 3 unmuted if course. You should now get double track with a level of reverb. I kept this low for old 50s 60s slapback rock n roll effect.
    Mute the DT rack 3 and unmute chorus rack 2.
    Go back to space verb rack 1 sends to levels and raise the FX2 level. I set this quite high for almost swamping reverb for big ballad (Walker bros loving feeling song sound)

So to the footswitching conundrum. IF you create a MUTE ALL FX, yes it mutes them all but on clicking again, it UNMUTES THEM ALL which will not do in this scenario.
    I have a powered dual footswitch thats configurable so its set for latching so the leds illuminate on the pedal. Configure the tip and ring to suit. I set the ring to FX2 and tip to FX3. On my pedal before getting on with playing, I turn off the pedal leds, then mute the 2 fx channels on the screen so now when the led is on, the efrect mute is off. I can now select either, both or none. When FX2 and FX3 are muted, they do not send signals to the reverb on FX (rack)1 thus it mutes that too. I know its convoluted to some of you but its a goodnway of at least dual selectable effects while playing and you dont have a designated sound guy out the front who canneasily do this manually anyway.
    I chose not to use scenes for anything but a starting preset as any on the fly adjustments are negated if you call a scene as in back to thatbpreset if you see what I mean.
    Inam hoping to aquire a better FX unit with midi input so it can be patched in with my rig control system, something you cant do with the CQ with no midi, and even then, will there be an FX call function that does not effect the actual mix.

PS I aquired a NUX NMP-2 Foot Switch plus a stereo jack to jack TRS lead and a 9V psu to power it as its a lot less than the Boss FS

Profile photo of Lostape
    Lostape
    Participant

Is a latching footswitch required to set footswitch functions to mute/unmute a specific fx bank?

For instance… while singing a long not I would like to have a delay come in and then mute it with the tail on all by using the footswitch. So far I can’t find that option.

I’m using a momentary switch right now. But I could flip it to a latching switch (I think)

Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.