Dyn8 – Split self-key frequency filtering

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Dyn8 – Split self-key frequency filtering

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lishinsky Lishinsky 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hey folks!

I find myself wanting to use Dyn8 for multipurpose DeEss/Proximity compensation on vocalists for a number of situation, but it feels like it falls just short of being useful for DeEss. I really wish you could split the detection freqs internally, for each Dyn8, for each band, like you can do with Fab Filter’s Pro MB. IE, I want a HF band of compression with crossover around 5k ish, but I really only want compression to happen when Freqs between 7-9k are detected…

You could burn a buss as a sidechain source, but I’m pretty much tapped out for busses already, and wouldn’t want to waste that resource for this purpose. It’d be really cool to see some kind of variable key filter for Dyn8 in a future update.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

wich part of the Dyn8?

the Multiband splits the signals and processes the bands
    the dynEQ has a wideband mode for broader detection, that helps a lot on de-essing

I’d like to have this in the MB section specifically as opposed to the dynamic EQ. Although, it would be nice to be able to split detection frequency from being dependent on the chosen center frequency of that particular EQ band. I’ve found that even w/ the wideband detection using the EQ section, there are a number of vocalists I deal with where the targeting is just inadequate. See the attached FFMB screen cap for the sort of variable targeting behavior I’d like to see.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

I Love the FFMB but i doubt the Dyn8 will go that far.
    why not burning another input channel as the side chain source instead of a bus?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

ok I tried it in FabFilter MB
    know what you mean

@ Lishinksy, for the same reason I’m not burning a buss. I’ve already got duplicated channels for IEM reservations, plus a number of other workflows. I’m getting close to capacity with input channels as well; so sure I *could* do that, but it’s an unnecessary complication/waste of resources for the application. (It would also be kind of a pain to dial in: going between key channel and actual channel I’m trying to process.)

Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

I Hear you!
    Unfortunately i hardly see any of our requests fulfilled by A&H.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.