CQ20 vs CQ18

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ General Discussions CQ20 vs CQ18

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by Profile photo of HughHugh.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MSDTrnityMSDTrnity
    Participant

Hello,

I’m about to purchase either the CQ20 or the CQ18 mixer and I am pretty sure I know which one however, I want to make sure that there is nothing here that I’m missing.

Quick Background:
    I am sometimes running the sound for our 5-piece rock band. Currently, I use a Behringer XR18. I use the XR18 with a laptop and the others use either a tablet or phone for their monitor mixes. I will be the first to admit that I’m not a great sound engineer – especially when trying to get my own rig setup. I’ve had a pro sound engineer mix our last show and he was phenomenal (I didn’t think we could sound that good). He won’t be available for all our shows and while he gave me some tips and has a basic template to start with, the biggest issue I always face is gains and feedback in a new place. I believe the software app will be much easier than the Behringer interface that I’ve used for so long.

The CQ20 is pretty much the same for factor as the XR18 as well as in/out configuration. That means it which will fit in my rack with little to no changes with the physical setup. I’ve got a powerful network router that I use to network everything together so I don’t need the internal wifi.

My questions:
    1. Is there any advantage to the CQ18 over the CQ20 that I’m missing BESIDES the built-in screen?
    2. From a useability standpoint, are the auto gain and anti-feedback features that good?
    3. It seems like the workflow and the way they setup the software app, getting up and running for a gig should be pretty easy – is there someone that’s used it can confirm or deny this?
    4. My goal is to make getting a solid/good mix for nights when we don’t have sound man easy and repeatable. Will this do it for me or should I just stay with what I know?

Lastly, if anyone has used the XR18 and now uses the CQ series would like to weigh in on opinion, I’m happy to listen and take all advice.

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

CQ20B have 20in vs CQ18T 18in.
    You’ll get more input with de CQ20B.

Profile photo of MonkeeMonkee
    Participant

I had the x18 air mixer & now i have the CQ18t mixer, I find the cq18 on board effects are much better especially the vocal reverbs & delays,the interface is easier to navigate & in built wifi is very stable . Only used in a live situation but in my opinion the cq18T is worth the extra money & def a step up from the x18.

Participant

I’m definitely going to the A&H for either the CQ18T or the CQ20 – your comment and the fact that my X18 is getting long in the tooth pushed me over the edge. I struggled with the on-board effects as well.

Did you mean to go with the CQ18T over the CQ20 or just in general A&H over the X18?

I’m not quite sure the CQ18 with the screen/form factor is the right way to go. With the CQ20, I gain ports and swap out my X18 into my existing rack. I’m already used to iPads/Laptops for getting the mix together. I’m trying to see if there is a compelling reason to have the screen on the CQ18.

Profile photo of MonkeeMonkee
    Participant

Hi , i had the AH qu16 after my x18 air & was used in a live setting for a 6 piece rock/ pop band , even though was a great desk , when i left the band i wanted to down size without losing the quality of the preamps or effects . Must say the cq18 is spot on for me , i sing , play keys & guitar & use cubasis on my ipad & this desk enables everything i need to do & more. The bluetooth is also handy for practising to backing tracks etc . If i were still in the live band situation i think the cq20 might be better but i have no experience of this . More inputs & rackmount etc etc .
    In the past i have owned the line 6 m20d mixer & its like AH based the cq18t on the M20d & improved/ updated everything that needed fixing . Also recently had an expensive presonus desk & i would still take the AH cq over any i have had . Its a robust unit , wifi airiel is a bit flimsy plastic but just be careful when using . All the best .

Participant

@Monkee – thanks for the explanation. I’m leaning CQ20 because of the form factor for my rack but my local Guitar Center has both units so I’m going to see if I can get to check out the CQ18 in person.

Participant

Just for anyone who might be in the same boat as my original post, I purchased the CQ18 instead of the CQ20 and here are the reasons I did so:

1. I like having the screen on the mixer itself. The buttons and quick dials are extremely helpful.
    2. The buttons on the screen to switch pages are time saving and once you get the feel of the workflow, very intuitive to use.
    3. I didn’t need the extra input channel and I bought 6 TRS 1/4″ -> XLR Male converters (yes XLR are better but…the screen!)

Overall both mixers are great so far. I can’t believe how easy it is to get a great mix so quickly! I think I made the right choice with the CQ18 and the screen because my plan is to hookup and use the auto-gains feature as I plug-in. Then I’ll move to the iPad app to do the feedback and set the general sends and main FOH faders. Done. I can then hand off the iPad to someone to adjust the faders on the main FOH if needed.

Thanks for the input.

Profile photo of OdedOded
    Participant

The CQ18T doesn’t have Hi-Z inputs, while the CQ20B has two. This could be important if you’re planning to connect instruments like acustic guitars or bass directly.

Profile photo of HughHugh
    Participant

On these forums opinions are somewhat like ……, most of us have one. Our subjective biased preferences can be a helpful assist for others if they are based on fundamantal work flow needs. Here’s my 2cents worth based on 50+ years of SR in the high end acoustic Americana world.

1) “Mixing on Glass” can be a wonderful tool for “set it up and leave it” applications, however when continual SR management is required tactile faders and controls are a much, much better protocol. Solo performers and session ready Bluegrass bands generally benefit greatly when they completely control their own dynamic delivery with well rehearsed mic tecnique.
    2)The Glass you choose to use for mixing is critical: Response time lag differences between the 18T and 20b are not of concern to A&H or for any of the past threads within this forum. My 8th generation I-Pad when deployed a few feet behind my CQ20b is bullet proof. Most of the operational problems seem to occur with ancilary devices deployed to facilitate alternative management tools. In the event a CQ20b controlled with a late model I-Pad is not capable of delivering exactly what you need, you will probably be much better off with an SQ5 in the long run.
    3) It is highly likely any of the CQs will offer much better high quality resolution than the Mics and speaker stacks you are currently deploying. Please remember the given limitations of a performer’s session skills, the mics and SR distrobution stacks that are available will ultimately determine the potential quality of the performance. Utilizing automated gain and FB mgt to raise DB output beyond your gears designed limitations seldom, if ever, works out very well. High quality SR really is all about detailed transparency and clarity, not knock you down DBs
    4) The single most important skill that experienced Knob and Fader jockys must acquire to work well with the CQ gear is how to activate and quickly control the tiny DB tabs. (Touch to activate then move concurrently horizontally to set desired levels)

Given these factors I bought the CQ20b for quick set ups for my solo and Bluegrass small gigs. I have an SQ5 & DX32 with primes and D-Live pres for studio and large A/V events. The simple clip on holder for the I-Pad that rests directly under my Flea 47 mic provides everything I need for the 20b to deliver audio to three KV2 EX10s that I use for small scale SR when needed.
    Hugh
    (The SD card perfectly delivers my carefully mixed BU tracks with one of the three available soft buttons: It is much cleaner than USB in most every way)

Profile photo of VinVin
    Participant

I am currently in the same boat as you were and trying to decided between 18t and 20b and thought my mind was set for the 20b and then read your post. Can you share your experience now that you’ve had the 18t for several months? Is it rack mounted?

Any problems with 1/4 aux outs? I ask this specifically because my experience in trying to use my current mixer’s 1/4 in monitor outs has not been great. Current mixer is the Zoom Livetrack l-12.

Thanks much for sharing your experience. Very helpful for a novice such as myself!

Participant

Hi Vin,

My experience has been 100% positive. I think having the ability to mix on the board itself is great for my application. I’m in a 4-piece band and the mixer sits on an adjustable stand next to me. I can’t mix while I’m playing and for the most part, once we get over the initial song, we adjust once and we’re pretty good all night. Occasionally, we need to make adjustments and it’s right there. If I ever had someone working sound, they would use a tablet and be remote (which I always have with me).

The 1/4″ jacks – I use short 1/4″ -> XLR changers for the outs and they work fine. I’ve also used 1/4″ cables directly to the monitors with no issues. We are using powered monitors or IEM feeds – no issues.

If you’re going to mix yourself while on stage, the 18T (I think) is the way to go. If you’re a sound engineer mixing others, then the 20 would be better for more inputs and the XLR outputs.

I went from the Behringer XAIR-18 and I have to say, this is WAY better (for me). The workflow takes a bit of getting used to but once you know how to get at everything, it flows much better than what I had before. The new 1.2 software adds some neat features to it and recording is a one-touch affair.

My best advice once you get it, is to watch a lot videos and practice with the unit. When I first got it, I didn’t know where everything was and finding settings (coming from the XAIR world, was tricky). Now that I’ve got about 30 gigs under me with it, it takes me 10 mins to get everybody’s mic checked and then its just ring out monitors, mains and set monitor levels. Adjust the output volume and a couple of fader tweaks and we are off.

I keep the mixer in a laptop bag (for now) but I’m looking around for a hard case mixer rack and mount it in there. I’d at least get the bag to hold it.

Let me know if you need any other details.

Good luck!

Profile photo of VinVin
    Participant

This is very helpful. Thanks so much for sharing.

Profile photo of HughHugh
    Participant

The 7 inch screen on the CQ is a duplicate of the 7 inch screen on my SQ5, that is no where close to the touch screen technology available with my 8th gen I-Pad and certainly not in the same zip code with the current 10th gen 13Inch I-Pads that have established a new world standard for mixing on glass.
    Replacing the 18T’s limited tactile controls with a screen twice as big that is at least twice again faster than the CQ screen is well worth the additional expense for a current Apple I-Pad.
    Vin has described a typical “set it & leave it” protocol that I have deployed for many years with all kinds of analog & digital desks. I prefer complete tactile controls with most all of my SR contracted gigs, however for close contained “set it & leave it” gigs the CQ20b and late model I-Pad is an unbeatable pairing. Keeping all of the XLR cords at floor level and the ability to maintain a clear metered view of DB levels & quick one touch shifts between the monitor and mains with an I-Pad mounted on your mic stand is putting critical Info exactly where it needs to be, IMO.
    Hugh
    (Gator makes a sturdy hard shell case that will house both my 20b and I-Pad and it provides a perfect lift from the available floor surface that can have a huge advantage with some out door gigs)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.