Compressor on FX returns

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions Compressor on FX returns

This topic contains 15 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ma Ma 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

This is the feature I miss the most from my GLD days, when I could also route the Fx send to a “normal” fully processable stereo channel. When I owned the Gld I used to compress the return of the delay or echo Fx in order to keep its level always below the main source easily

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

Am I allowed to bump this? If not, I apologize and will delete

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@litti

(bumping is fine 🙂 )

This is a tricky question as the current routing architecture only allows for FX engine outputs to be sent to FX returns, output sockets (analogue or digital) and insert returns.
    Adding the option to input channel sourcing to also be able to receive this signal may or may not be possible and would require development and test time to find out.
    Unfortunately it’s not a case of ‘it can be sent from A to B, so it can be sent from A to C’ with one change to a line of code…

So if there are others who really want this too, it might be something we look into.

One quick and easy workaround however, would be to run one or more FX returns through a group and make use of the mix processing there.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of peterm2
    peterm2
    Participant

+1 I also like this feature!

Profile photo of creal
    creal
    Participant

I completely agree, it’s a basic feature that would be very welcome.

As other workarounds for the meantime, we can also use insert FX on an Aux channel, or send an FX bus on another FX bus.

Profile photo of litti
    litti
    Participant

@keithjah,

thanks for the reply, I know it’s not easy but I hope this feature will be implemented some time in the future.

@peterm2 and @creal thanks for backing me 🙂

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I can definitely see where this would be helpful!

+1 to the list.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Proper Audio
    Proper Audio
    Participant

+1
    I’ve been using side chain compression on delay returns since the analogue days. My workaround on the SQ is basically sending the FX return into a group (wasting a group…) in order to enable SC-compression.
    I’d rather have an FX buss that allows for SC-compression on the return, using the input signal of said buss as a SC input for the return’s compressor.
    Should that cause routing or coding issues: I’d be happy for a delay/echo FX unit with internal SC compressor / ducker with variable timing instead.

Profile photo of ptrcmrcl
    ptrcmrcl
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of SimonVB
    SimonVB
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of alberto.irrera
    alberto.irrera
    Participant

+1

as Proper Audio said, SC compression on fx returns is often useful

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

+1

I’ve been sending the delay back to itself to get full regeneration for dub reggae. There’s unfortunately no way to put a limiter on the send *or* the return, so the only safety is limiting on the master output.

Profile photo of Seth
    Seth
    Participant

+1 I’d love to be able to sidechain compress my vocal verb and delay to the dry vocal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.