Channels Peaking consistently

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Channels Peaking consistently

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wing2015
    wing2015
    Participant

Hello, we have the QU24 at my church and we are using about 17 channels at the moment. Choir/vocal mics, Lead singer mic, Pastor mic, 3 drum mics, etc. But the problem is we cannot get the peak light to stop coming on for the individual channels, for example channels 1 and so on are always showing the red light for the gain,compressor, EQ, and the level meter even if the volume is not all the way up. I do not understand why..? Thnx.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Channel peak lights will come on if any part of the channel’s signal chain clips. Check the gain structure of the bus and its master channel

Profile photo of wing2015
    wing2015
    Participant

OKay thnx, what could I do to avoid this?

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Fix your gain structure. Make sure you’re not overloading the bus. Make sure your processing doesn’t overload the master channel the bus feeds.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Chances are you’re setting your channel input gain too high. This often happens when switching from analog to digital with the change in metering from dbvu to dbfs. Your input gain should be metering around -18 dbfs as opposed to a typical analog setting of 0 on the meter when soloed/PFL’d. This is where to start.

Beyond that you just need to make sure you have not applied excessive make-up gain to any dynamic processing. Here’s a quote from page 20 of the user manual:

“Pk – Lights red to warn that the signal is too hot and gain or trim should be reduced. It turns on 3dB before clipping to warn you before audible distortion. Pk senses the signal at several points within the channel.”

The several points are input gain and/or dynamics processors…gate, comp, FX etc. The metering on the touch screen will be easiest to use as it changes from green to yellow when the gain is too high.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I read this slightly wrong, Dick’s correct.

Dick Rees
    Participant

And just to clarify, the channel metering lights reflect the amount of PRE-FADER gain and is not affected by channel fader movement/position except possibly in the case of a post-fader FX send.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Dick’s right in his suggestions but let me point out that meters on Qu, GLD and iLive are NOT dBFS. As a matter of fact 0dB on the meters corresponds to -18dBFS. This leaves 18dB of headroom (15dB before the peak indicator lights up) so a reading of 0dB on the meter is a good starting point for input gain.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Try to “tickle” the yellow all the way through (meters exist at the preamp, as well as inputs and outputs of each dynamic processor and FX – as well as the post fader level.

Dick Rees
    Participant

Dick’s right in his suggestions but let me point out that meters on Qu, GLD and iLive are NOT dBFS. As a matter of fact 0dB on the meters corresponds to -18dBFS. This leaves 18dB of headroom (15dB before the peak indicator lights up) so a reading of 0dB on the meter is a good starting point for input gain.

Sorry, I slipped a cog and was thinking of another mixer/brand…

Now when can we get a downward expansion option on the gates? Please…

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ducking is coming in 1.7 Due in march (subject to testing)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.