CAT6 between Qu16 and AB168?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting CAT6 between Qu16 and AB168?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mrvoltz Mrvoltz 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gsdito
    gsdito
    Participant

Does anyone know why this cable wouldn’t work between a Qu16 and an AB168?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1125452-REG/comprehensive_cat6_300problk_ee_pro_av_it_cat6_ethercon.html

Cable distance perhaps (100M)? Does nothing when plugged in to both units, but a basic CAT5 @ 200 ft works fine.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Distance shouldn’t be an issue – are the ends wired correctly? Does it work as a plain ethernet cable?

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I just read up on this and Cat6 will perform worse with a length over 55 meters. I’m not sure about the DSnake protocol since I’m not proficient at networking, but I read the following and wonder if it has anything to do with your problem, qsdito – 100 meters for slower network speeds (up to 1,000 Mbps) and higher network speeds over short distances. For Gigabit Ethernet, 55 meters max, with 33 meters in high crosstalk conditions.
    I don’t know if the speed of the DSnake protocol is in the same range as Gigabit Ethernet. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in and let us know if my finding is relevant at all.

airickess
    Participant

And I just read [XAP]Bob’s reply. @bob, why is length most likely not the issue here?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Cat6 will perform worse with a length over 55 meters

Really ? can you supply that link for reading?
    I use both cat 5 (50 metres) and 5E and 6E all 50 meters metres and under.
    And they are all just off the shelf called or labelled ‘patch leads’.
    Never had any problems

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Because dSnake is 100Mbit.
    And because cat5 and Cat6 both have a 100M limit on 100Mbit traffic.

I know I have abused those lengths before (although not in a dSnake env)

There is another thread running on cat5vcat6 at the moment…

CAT6 maximum length

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

The reduced length only depends on transmission speed not cable category. Length needs to be shorter for higher bandwidth to maintain signal integrity. As Bob said, dSnake is 100MBit/s regardless of the cable.

airickess
    Participant

NZdave, here is a link to one of the few articles I read – https://www.diffen.com/difference/Cat5e_vs_Cat6
    It is the difference between Cat5e and Cat6. I don’t think it talks about Cat6a.
    The article in the link supports [XAP]Bob and Andreas – the transmission speed suffers with longer cable length on Cat6. With the dSnake protocol at 100MBit/s, it’s well under the transmission speed (10Gbps) that is limited to 55 meters on Cat6. From what I read, the dSnake speed should make the cable length difference irrelevant between Cat5e and Cat6, just as [XAP]Bob stated. Both Cat5e and Cat6 should perform the same for dSnake (in theory).

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

I have successfully run dsnake over cat5e to a length of 425+ feet (130 m).
    I plan on testing 575 feet this weekend as I have another 150 foot duracat to use to extend the network.
    Like it was mentioned at 100mbit it is not restricted to 55 meters.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.