Calibrated External SPL/RTA Db Meter

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Calibrated External SPL/RTA Db Meter

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rich CRich C
    Participant

For gigs where I don’t have time or the Footprint to set up Smaart it would be handy to be able to calibrate the external RTA input to monitor SPL levels. This could be extended to a onboard basic version of Smaart.

Profile photo of BrianBrian
    Participant

RTA metering and db metering are two different things. RTA shows the overall frequency response of a source while db meter shows the overall db level of the source.

RTA doesn’t really need to be calibrated and would be almost impossible to do. I say this because you would have to calibrate the gain of every input to some sort of standard to ensure that your RTA was consistent between different sources.

If you want to monitor db levels, then you absolutely need to calibrate a mic using a sound source with a known db output so that you can adjust the gain setting to ensure your db monitoring/recording matches the know db source level.

Profile photo of Bob BriessinckBob Briessinck
    Participant

Add a transfer function taken between a measurement mic and a chosen internal matrix!

Profile photo of JonathanJonathan
    Participant

That’s a really cool thought! I wonder how much more processing that would take.

For those wondering, and not familiar with measuring SPL, you use an external microphone calibrator. For something like this, the dLive would need something on the software side to run the calibration and to select what dB level you’re calibrating with–I.E. 94dB, 114db etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.