Best Practices – Recording to Logic Pro and Cable Required

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Best Practices – Recording to Logic Pro and Cable Required

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bmac Bmac 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bmac
    Bmac
    Participant

Newbie question:

I am AV/IT director for a church and we have recently purchased and deployed an SQ5. We would like to begin to multi-track record our services onto our Mac Mini M1 running Logic Pro X. We are unclear on exactly how to set up this connection.

Question:

What exact cable is required to connect the SQ5 to the Mac Mini?
    Is there a helpful best-practices article or thread here on the forum that would help guide us in setting up the recording from the SQ to the Mac Mini M1 running Logic Pro X?

Thanking you all in advance for any help.

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi,
    seems we have a spammer in the forum…

If you are good with 32Channels / 48kHz then you just use a USB Cable. Then you go to “I/O” and patch your sources to be recorded to USB. I for myself are always using Direct outs to be send to USB (set to “after preamp” in Routing menu). Other people are using Tie lines to do the recording… this is a little bit dependent on the task and also a flavor.

On Logic you then create the needed amount of channels, use the USB-Inputs from SQ on those channels and go… (I am no Logic User, so cant say what the buttons are named — but as far as I know you dont need a driver).

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Bmac
    Bmac
    Participant

Tobias,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I see the spanner was interested in offering us legal advice on how to set up Logic in a church!!!! That’s a good one for sure!!!!

Yes. 32 Channels is enough for the short run. Right now, we’re using 27. But we will eventually need more than 32. We understand we’ll have to add a Dante’ card, but we also understand they are nowhere to be found right now for the SQ5.

Do you you happen to know if there is some downloadable resource (step by step) specific to setting up the SQ with Logic via the USB here on the forum? There are a lot of YT videos that are helpful, but none are specific to that exact work/signal flow.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Brad

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

Hi Brad,

I found those two videos:

and

I just “flew through” them, but it seems, they are pretty good covering your question. Could you be more specific what you need help with? If you want to record, there are very few very basic steps to do which are not very specific:

1. Connect USB Cable
    2. Only on Windows install ASIO Driver
    3. In SQ / IO-Patching send channels to USB
    4. In Logic: Make channels, select input sources and go for record

A more “downloadable” resource I do not know. The Reference Guide is not “step by step”.

You might also have a look in the knowledge base: https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4402941921553-SQ-Virtual-Soundcheck-using-the-USB-B-connection

This article is older, the screenshots of SQ are not up-2-date.

Please give more specific questions — currently this is much of a guessing what the problem is.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of Bmac
    Bmac
    Participant

Thanks Tobias,
    That’s exactly what we needed. Really do appreciate it.

Best regards,

Brad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.