App unable to connect to QU

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting App unable to connect to QU

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Col 23 Col 23 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Col 23
    Col 23
    Participant

Hello,

I am having a problem whereby I am completely unable to connect to the desk with either QU-Pad or Mixing Station. I have tried two different tablets (Android and Apple) and two different QU16 desks. The tablet and router combination was working fine on my SQ last week but I don’t have access right now to compare. I’ve tried updating firmware to latest version on both desks and both apps are running latest versions.

Both apps are able to “see” the desk but cannot establish a connection. Mixing Station reports that the desk can be reached but does not respond.

DHCP is enabled and I have tried connecting manually as well.
    As far as I can tell they are within same IP range (e.g. desk 192.168.0.100, tablet 192.168.0.101)

I am plugged into a LAN port not the WAN, and have power cycled all parts of the chain.

If anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Col

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Sounds like we can check firmware off the list.

I assume you have a solid connection to your WIFI router.

In the settings menu, under the utility, diagnostics tab see what the IP address
    is that was assigned to the mixer.
    In the WIFI settings on the iPad see what IP address was assigned to the iPad.

When you say the apps can see the mixer what is it showing.
    On the QU Pad app, does the mixer name show up in the opening box of choices?

Profile photo of Col 23
    Col 23
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Connection to wifi is solid and I was only a few feet away from the router.

I checked the IP addresses in the menus as you suggested – QU16 192.168.0.100, Ipad 192.168.0.101

On QU Pad, the mixer name shows up as an option (I also changed the name on the desk to confirm this). Clicking connect takes me to the select user tab but is then unable to connect regardless of which user I select. I haven’t set any user profiles or passwords on the desk.

The same happens if I select “other” and enter IP manually.

Similarly on Mixpad, the QU will be found on search but cannot connect.

I’ve logged into the router but can’t see anything obvious in the settings – but then I’m not the most IT savvy.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I ran into the same thing with one of my iPads last weekend. Before, I had restored that particular iPad from a backup so I figured that was the problem.
    I re-installed the app and now it’s working again.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of Col 23
    Col 23
    Participant

UPDATE – RESOLVED (for now)

So this afternoon I came in early to do some testing. I set up my SQ6 and one of the QU16’s side by side in the venue, along with the router, hoping to find some difference in the config that could account for the problem. To my surprise, both QU-Pad and mixing station connected straight away with no issues… However after plugging the router back into the QU in the control booth, still no connection. Swapped the two QU’s and the first one (now in the booth) cannot connect, the second (now on the stage) works fine?? After much head scratching I thought “power maybe?” and ran a long extension lead to the booth, plugged both QU and router into this… and voila, both apps can now connect!

Strange thing is, I plugged the desk and router back into the booth sockets, now side by side on a double socket, and everything still works! AFAICT the booth sockets are a standard UK ring mains so I am absolutely stumped by what could have caused this.

Thanks for the help
    Col

Profile photo of Col 23
    Col 23
    Participant

After further investigation, it turns out the cause of the problem was an old laptop that the venue uses for background music, etc. Don’t know if it was RF or something in the mains (the laptop no longer runs on battery), but when it’s switched off I have flawless connection and as soon as the laptop boots, connection becomes impossible.

I still have no clue how the laptop could cause this fault, but hopefully this information will help someone in the future.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

After further investigation, it turns out the cause of the problem was an old laptop that the venue uses for background music, etc. Don’t know if it was RF or something in the mains (the laptop no longer runs on battery), but when it’s switched off I have flawless connection and as soon as the laptop boots, connection becomes impossible.

I still have no clue how the laptop could cause this fault, but hopefully this information will help someone in the future.

Possible IP address conflict?

Profile photo of Col 23
    Col 23
    Participant

Possible IP address conflict?

Nope… I use a dedicated network for control, the only connected devices were the desk and tablet. The old laptop wasn’t on any network at all.

After a further round of testing it seems to be related somehow to the ST3 connection – something I’m sure I had ruled out previously.

The problem seems to occur when:
    A) The old laptop and QU share the same electrical supply
    AND
    B)The headphone out is connected to ST3

If I use separate supplies or connect to ST1/2 instead then the app connection works. (My own laptop can be used on ST3 no problem)

I’ve spent way too much time and energy on this but at least it keeps me occupied while waiting for the acts to turn up!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.