Android Tablet Screen refresh time

Forums Forums CQ Forums CQ troubleshooting Android Tablet Screen refresh time

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mathieu Mathieu 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of twmusic
    twmusic
    Participant

New user here folks. I recently sold 2 x X32s and an XR18 which I have been networking with an external router and controlling using Mixing Station on a cheapish (2gig ram) Android tablet that’s about 8 years old. It has always been solid and responsive.
    My new CQ20B arrived yesterday and I noticed that the MixPad app has a very noticeable lag when switching between screens. This is quite off-putting as I’m never sure if I am just waiting for the screen to refresh or if I miss-pressed the screen. I tried the app on my iPad and the lag was still there although somewhat reduced. I need to mix from stage and I use my iPad for charts and I don’t particularly want to buy another new iPad if I can find a cheaper Android Tablet that will work better and not have the screen refresh lag.
    Can anyone recommend a cheapish Android tablet that works well with the Mixed app?
    I’m in the UK so would likely be buying from places like Argos/PC World etc.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Toby

Profile photo of Chienmort
    Chienmort
    Participant

I have two tablets bought about Vhristmas 2022. One is an iPad the other runs android and is a Lenovo. Although most of my work with the CQ 20 has been with The iPad, I have used the Lenovo and I cannot remember any noticeable lag. The iPad is a 2021 model very basic and the Lenovo is about the same vintage and was a mid price for an android. I will try it for you later.

Incidentally, I’m also in the UK (Dorset).

Profile photo of twmusic
    twmusic
    Participant

Thanks for the update – that’s really useful. You don’t have the model number of your Lenovo tablet do you or know what the processor is or Ram?
    Thanks again,
    Toby

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Honestly Mixing Station will work on just about ANY Android tablet.

Just like you, I use to run MS on a pretty old Android Tablet (a Lenovo Tab 10 which was released in 2017). About two years ago I upgraded to another cheap Android tablet. A Blackview Tab 13 that I picked up at launch for about $130. While it is faster with everything else, I honestly don’t see a big difference in the speed at which MS performs compared to the older tablet.

If you are just looking for a cheap Android tablet primarily to run MS on, then I would recommend the Blackview brand. They are actually OK devices for the price.

Profile photo of Chienmort
    Chienmort
    Participant

I did a brief look at it. I am not sure of the model number but is only had 2Mb RAM. Brian’s suggestion seems to have much more RAM so would probably be better.

I am happy to use my iPad but may buy a cheap but higher spec android tablet for our Singer to control. Alternatively a refurb iPad.

Profile photo of Mathieu
    Mathieu
    Participant

I have a CQ18T, plus a tablet for extra screen and to move in the room and near the control speakers. I used to have an old android tablet and it was slow. Now I have an ipad 2019 Mixpad is much faster, but still a bit slow.

But anyway, with eiher tablet I used both Mixpad (during soundcheck and for few specific features) and Mixing station (90% of the time, because the interface is faster and cleaner). So in this case Mixpad slowness to switch between screens is less of a big deal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.