Additional FX: Distortion, Overdrive, bitCrusher etc…

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Additional FX: Distortion, Overdrive, bitCrusher etc…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Macdalor
    Macdalor
    Participant

Sorry if this has already been posted but haven’t seen any related requests in the forum & not sure whether anyone else would appreciate additional FX like Distortion, Overdrive, bitCrusher etc. in the QU serie. I know I would! That would complete my signal path within my QU24 instead going the outboard route…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

we don’t want this in the QU range
    since it is a simple to use straight forward mixing desk

Macdalor
    Participant

I don’t get your answer steffen. What’s complicated in an FX addition???

What’s the difference with having a delay, reverb or chorus FX in the desk??

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

as far as I know a distortion would be an insert FX…

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@macdalor

muy interesante!

There may be some who would like those types of fx.
    If enough people do then AH may provide them.

For the rest of us we are looking for the cleanest most accurate sound without any distortion.

It will be nice to see what others think about adding fx.
    I would like to have an fx for upwards compression where I can dial in the parameters and % of mixing while only using one channel.
    There are aps that do that for DAWs.

Macdalor
    Participant

It would be a start as a send…we all know adding a bit of saturation goes a long way in today’s mixes…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

There may be some who would like those types of fx.
    If enough people do then AH may provide them.

For the rest of us we are looking for the cleanest most accurate sound without any distortion.

At the right time, on the right source and not used on everything all the time a little add distortion (of the right type) can work.
    I know were talking QU here but the tube stage mic pre amp on the SQ can be driven into saturated overdrive and no I’m not talking about just driving the input into raw clipping.

I would like to have an fx for upwards compression where I can dial in the parameters and % of mixing while only using one channel.

First time I heard you mention that!!!!!!

Macdalor
    Participant

At the right time, on the right source and not used on everything all the time a little add distortion (of the right type) can work.
    I know were talking QU here but the tube stage mic pre amp on the SQ can be driven into saturated overdrive and no I’m not talking about just driving the input into raw clipping.

Exactly what I’m talking about! So why not on the QU…
    The beauty of this desk lies in its multitude of functions and capabilities at ones fingertips without having to reach for external outboard; enhancing it with additional fx won’t break its intended workflow and will only expand its usability as well as attraction…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Exactly what I’m talking about! So why not on the QU…

It make no difference what we are talking about, cars, refrigerators, cell phones or audio mixing boards, at some point in each model line there needs to be line drawn as to how many features and options are in each model product at each price point.
    The consumer makes the choice between cost and the features and options as to what model
    is best for them.

Everybody wants what a D live can do but not everyone can justify the cost so we look a little cost models.

That all said my little SC Ui16 has a guitar processor effect that probably would do what you want, on the other hand it can not do anywhere close to what even a QU16 can.

volounteer
    Participant

@macdalor

Like @mikec sort of said, AH cant put every feature on a low end model or else they could not sell higher end stuff.
    Many (most?) manufacturers of any product use features to get you to upgrade to a more costly model even if they could have put them all in the lowest priced one for no more cost. Indeed, some of them have all the features there, just not activated. On occasion hackers find the key and unlock the extra capability anyway.

I agree that adding fx to the Qu would be very cheap, unless they hardwired a limit of fx could be in the library, in which case it would another one of their foot shootings with the architecture and design; but in their wizdom AH has decided to limit what they do give us.

Macdalor
    Participant

at some point in each model line there needs to be line drawn as to how many features and options are in each model product at each price point.

I see…so let’s just shut this useless “QU feature suggestions” forum then if it’s just here to faff about…

volounteer
    Participant

@macdalor

I am sure AH weighs the suggestions with other info they accumulate to guide their decisions.
    That they might weigh other ideas expressed is also useful to them and you should not want those censored either.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Like @mikec sort of said, AH cant put every feature on a low end model or else they could not sell higher end stuff.
    Many (most?) manufacturers of any product use features to get you to upgrade to a more costly model even if they could have put them all in the lowest priced one for no more cost.

Wow, let it be known that we sort of agree on something!
    My wording did kind of ramble on that original post.

To use a car analogy, if you have the need for power and speed
    you don’t buy a Ford Feista and complain that it can’t do 0 to 60 in 4 sec, that’s why there’s the GT500 Mustang.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

We agree on many things.
    At least I agree with you on many things.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

you don’t buy a Ford Feista and complain that it can’t do 0 to 60 in 4 sec, that’s why there’s the GT500 Mustang

exactly – the Fiesta doesn’t have the engine of the GT500… if you put the GT500 engine in the Fiesta, you might get close…
    Our different products use different hardware, hardware can be limiting or costly, we always try to get the most out of every part of the hardware in order to offer the best value product.

Anyway, in response to the original post:

@macdalor – What outboard do you currently use? And what kind of setup do you have the Qu in? (Studio/Live/Production)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.