Adding Reverb simple guide help

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Adding Reverb simple guide help

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barryjam Barryjam 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

I am absolutely Demented trying to work out how to add and remove reverb to each Channel. I’m a performer not an engineer. Seems if I get it added to one channel it either applies to then all. I need to work this out for a gig on Friday or I will either have reverbom vocals and instruments or none at all. Help please with a simple guide. Please I’m desperate. Thanks

Profile photo of Mysterium
    Mysterium
    Participant

Hi Polly,
    The video link below explains how to use FX on the SQ series mixers and is easy to follow. I understand how it is to be a performer trying to figure out a new digital mixer because I also fall into this category. I hope this helps and good luck with your gig.

Let me know if this helps.

CB

Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

Thank you. I’m using qu sb with an iPad. I don’t know which back panel setting to use. Chanel/ mix or insert. When I set the reverb for the other vocalist it’s fine and then go back to my own it gives me the reverb I pit on the second. I am not sure if I I send the all to different effects engines. Fx 3 and 4 have chorus and flange. Can I remove these ? I need to am,e sure there is no reverb on the base and drums and it seems that somehow the way I’ve added reverb it applies to all channels. Problem is I’ve read loads. It it’s like a different language. Appreciate your help furthe on this. 🤔

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

Think of each of the eight FX ‘racks’ as individual external pedals, that can be connected either on specific channel inserts or to an aux output. By default, the first four racks are configured as auxes, so if you want to send a source or sources to one of those you press the desired mix button (FX 1 – 4) and bring up the channel(s) you want to send to that FX. Then, to bring the wet signal back into your main mix, you switch back to LR and bring up the corresponding FX return (likely on the second or third fader layer, depending on the SQ model you have). Note that in this configuration the return seems to be wet-only, so you’ll probably want to leave some of the original unprocessed source in the LR mix as well. The FX sends are post-fader by default, so if you take out the dry signal altogether you won’t get any effect output for it. Took me a while to figure THAT one out…

With those, if you don’t want your drums and bass to have reverb, just don’t bring up drums and bass in the reverb slot’s mix.

As for wanting different reverb settings for different singers, you’ll have to set up an FX slot for each, whether you use them as an insert or an aux. I’m partial to the mix approach myself, but that’s up to you. You can select a slot you’re not using on the FX screen, press Library to change the effect preset, and proceed as above. (Of course, if it’s just the relative reverb *levels* you want to be different, just bring up the singers in the reverb send mix individually until it sounds right.)

If you need to tweak the back panel settings, set the routing to Insert or Mix->Return as needed. With Insert, you’ll then be able to select the processing channel you’re going to apply it to; this is exactly the same as if you set it from the channel’s processing screen. For Mix->Return, you’ll be able to select the aux you want to use (either one of the four FX buses or you can give up one of your other aux mixes if the four FX buses are already in use). Either way, the return will be via the FX return corresponding to the slot you’re configuring.

Profile photo of Polly
    Polly
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried to apply it. Here is the problem I can’t solve. When I apply reverb to Vocal channels 123 and then remove reverb on Chanel 456 the revere level disappears on chanels 123. It’s as if what ever I’ve last done applies to all the channels.

So I’ve followed the guide. Select channel send to fx I reverb send it back fx return. LR later. Looks fine then I go to the channels 456 to remove it and put the faders down to 0 I go back to the changes 124 and the faders are all down to 0. I know I’m being stupid but don’t know how to fix.

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

Polly,

How are you applying reverb to channels 1, 2, and 3, and then 4, 5, and 6? Same FX slot or two different ones?

If the reverb for 123 are on Fx1, and 456 is Fx2, they shouldn’t be interacting at all. Press Fx1 in the mix buttons, bring up 123 as desired. Press Fx2 mix, bring up 456 as desired. Back to LR, bring up Fx1Rtn and Fx2Rtn as desired. LR will also need 1-6 up for the dry signal, if they’re down you won’t get anything into the FX busses unless you change the send to pre-fade for the input channels.

Unless you’ve got 1-6 in a DCA somewhere and you’re bringing that down, thus affecting their faders everywhere, I’m really not sure what you might be doing based on your description.

Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

Polly,

You put this question on the SQ forum, but you should have put it on the QU forum, because you have a QU-SB. As a result, the answers probably seem overly complicated, and the video probably looked like from Mars! If you put your question on QU forum, you will probably get some QU-SB users to help you out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.