AB168 + AR-84 Possible?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AB168 + AR-84 Possible?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tonmeister
    tonmeister
    Participant

Tpoic says it all. Anyone know if the combo of QU-16, AB168, and AR-84 can be used together? I see a number of combinations listed as approved but not that one, although I’m not sure why that combination was not addressed in any literature I’ve seen, and it seems like a logical expansion to me (at least cheaper than getting two AB168’s).

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I think the 84 would plug into the expansion port on the 168, although I am going from expectation rather than spec sheets…

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Please see this thread: https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/ar84-ab168-for-qu24

Short answer is yes, they can be used together. In this configuration, the AR84 preamps can feed your ST1, ST2 and ST3 channels. Outputs are soft patchable (Setup / Output Patch / dSNAKE screen).

Profile photo of tonmeister
    tonmeister
    Participant

Thanks, Nicola!

Profile photo of Larch Audio
    Larch Audio
    Participant

Somewhere along the line it appears that the possibility of using an ab168 and ar84 with a Qu-24 has been missed or at least I’m missing something 🙂 With the 16 the additional inputs become ST1-3. Is that the case on the Qu-24 as well or would they actually fill out inputs 17-24? (a desirable outcome in my book).

Thanks!

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Hi,

I refer everyone reading this thread to Nicola’s post in the thread he linked:

AR84 & AB168 for QU24?

dSNAKE Main (directly connected to the mixer):
    AR2412
    AB168
    AR84

dSNAKE Expander (daisy chained):
    AB168
    AR84

dSNAKE sockets are assigned from CH1 upwards, then ST1 upwards.

Answering the above question specifically, A Qu-24 -> AB168 -> AR84 setup would populate CH1-CH24.

DC

Larch Audio
    Participant

Thanks DavidCo, but my enquiry is not directly answered there. Is there a scenario where the 8 ports on the AR84 do work as ports 17-24 on the Qu-24 or Qu-32? This is covered for the Qu-16 (that is they are ST1-3), but not for larger frames – or at least not that I can find.

The PDF, btw, does not show the AB168+AR84 configuration, so even though it’s apparent that it does work, it’s sort of missing on the “quick start guide” 🙂

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

I’m not sure I follow? What AR84 setup are you asking about?

Qu24/32 -> AR84 would populate CH1-8
    Qu24/32 -> AB168 -> AR84 would populate CH1-16 from the AB168, and CH17-24 from the AR84

As mentioned, dSNAKE sockets are assigned from CH1 upwards, then ST1 upwards. That’s the key rule here.

DC

Larch Audio
    Participant

Thanks DavidCo:

It was not explicit anywhere so I just wanted to verify, which you’ve done.

Thanks!

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Ch1 upwards until out of channels, then St1 upwards…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.