Editor Software – Please

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Editor Software – Please

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KWB KWB 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Touch screens are swell. Really, I like ’em. The Ipad ap is cool. They make great demos.

I especially like pushing the channel strips around on the layers.
    It’s Neato.
    Groovy.

but

THIS SKU needs AN EDITOR.

Soon………….please.

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

quote:

Originally posted by bigbean

Touch screens are swell. Really, I like ’em. The Ipad ap is cool. They make great demos.

I especially like pushing the channel strips around on the layers.
    It’s Neato.
    Groovy.

but

THIS SKU needs AN EDITOR.

Soon………….please.

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

What the heck did you do back in the days of only analog? Have you ever mixed on an analog console? Have you ever had to turn the knobs on your comps and gates?

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

Profile photo of Pbg
    Pbg
    Participant

You know, these do lots of things that knob twisting does pretty well. Maybe i still prefer that type of workflow overall…

An offline editor is magic that those knobby setups don’t offer, and can change your life prepping for a theater gig with 40 rowdy kids on wireless units and 120 scenes. Loads of other scenarios where the yamaha and avid editors have changed the nature of headaches to less unprefferable.

Would be pleased to have one.

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Mix analog.

Let’s see.

The first mixer I was paid to operate didn’t have panpots. It had a per input, channel assign, three position switch located just above the volume knobs. EQs were outboard units that were 600 ohm transformer isolated and connected by barrier strips. The closest thing to a comp was called a leveling amplifier. Reverb was down the hall and around the corner from storage and you had to go there once and a while to reset the damper if someone ran the servo too long and caused an over excursion of the damper trolley. Stage monitors were called fold back.

So yes,I’ve mixed analog before

I still want an editor, soon please.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

An off-line editor would be a great addition to the GLD. I too run sound for musical plays and found Yamaha Studio Manager very helpful. My old Yamaha 01v96 can be purchased for about $1200 used these days and it has an off-line editor. Used for quick set-up and an overall picture during plays it is a huge time saver.

I was thinking of starting a list of what my old 01V96 has that my new GLD does not (especially at 8 to 10 times the purchase price). I must admit to feeling a bit ripped off when I think of what I had to give up to get the GLD.

Oh, to the person who asked about the old days and mixing analog. We chose to buy new technology and enter the present. We have a reason to expect or at least ask for features that are in much cheaper offerings. I have little need for the iPad option but do not ask people what they did in the old days. I see good applications for the iPad too, just not now for me.

If you purchase a new computer you expect your new one to have at least the horsepower your old one had. If your new computer only allowed 100 megs of RAM you would not be happy I am sure.

Thank you

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by John S

An off-line editor would be a great addition to the GLD. I too run sound for musical plays and found Yamaha Studio Manager very helpful. My old Yamaha 01v96 can be purchased for about $1200 used these days and it has an off-line editor. Used for quick set-up and an overall picture during plays it is a huge time saver.

I was thinking of starting a list of what my old 01V96 has that my new GLD does not (especially at 8 to 10 times the purchase price). I must admit to feeling a bit ripped off when I think of what I had to give up to get the GLD.

Oh, to the person who asked about the old days and mixing analog. We chose to buy new technology and enter the present. We have a reason to expect or at least ask for features that are in much cheaper offerings. I have little need for the iPad option but do not ask people what they did in the old days. I see good applications for the iPad too, just not now for me.

If you purchase a new computer you expect your new one to have at least the horsepower your old one had. If your new computer only allowed 100 megs of RAM you would not be happy I am sure.

Thank you

Good grief – spare us the whaaaambulance. I’ve got a couple 01v96s that i will trade for your GLD so you feel less ripped off. I would love a spare GLD and would gladly give up all those “missing features” from my 01vs to do it.

It would be great if A&H implemented every feature on everyone’s wish list, and certainly pricing pressure from other low cost options increases the odds of getting those features to stay competitive, but it’s a little much to blame the manufacturer that they’re missing a critical feature and you’ve been ripped off, even though they have never ever indicated they would have that feature. If it is that big a deal, you should have bought something else, or stuck to your Yamahas.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Allow me to look back and see if you ever asked for a feature or improvement.

John

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by TJCornish

quote:

Thank you

Good grief – spare us the whaaaambulance. I’ve got a couple 01v96s that i will trade for your GLD so you feel less ripped off. I would love a spare GLD and would gladly give up all those “missing features” from my 01vs to do it.

It would be great if A&H implemented every feature on everyone’s wish list, and certainly pricing pressure from other low cost options increases the odds of getting those features to stay competitive, but it’s a little much to blame the manufacturer that they’re missing a critical feature and you’ve been ripped off, even though they have never ever indicated they would have that feature. If it is that big a deal, you should have bought something else, or stuck to your Yamahas.

We purchased a GLD for my church’s portable system and I *LOVE* it. LOVE it. An incredible value for the price.

BUT – an offline editor would be a nice addition for rider friendliness.

My primary touring gig is mostly an artist doing solo fly dates (artist & piano/guitar/tracks), but we do some full band fly dates as well. We just finished rewriting our rider. I had them add the GLD to the solo rider, but not the band rider, specifically because there’s no editor software to build a show file ahead of time.

The iLive made the cut for the new band rider (along with the obvious M7, CL5, and Avid desks), but the GLD is on the solo rider only, since for solo shows I can dial things in quick enough that the show file doesn’t really matter.

So yes, the GLD is an incredible desk, but editor software would potentially land it on at least one more rider than it’s currently on.

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

quote:

Allow me to look back and see if you ever asked for a feature or improvement.

John

Feel free. In several thousand posts on a number of sound, music, production, and other forums over the years, I’m sure I’ve requested a few things. Let me know if you find one where I lament a manufacturer for forcing me to buy their clearly inferior product for 10X the cost of my existing equipment (which I’m totally happy with, of course), even though it is missing the one feature I can’t live without, that they never promised would be there.

By all means – request features. Several things I’ve hoped for have made it into some of the products I use, after user requests. Let’s just spare some of the drama in the asking process.

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by TJCornish

Feel free….
    By all means – request features……
    Let’s just spare some of the drama in the asking process.

Well said! [:)]
    The request to add a (from a personal view) nice or important feature to a product that we bought with the advertised set of EXISTING features at that time should be humble and polite.

We all LOVE our GLDs and knew what we would get as we handed over the money.
    Let`s stick to friendly proposals.

…. and repeating the same request over and over again does not put it up on the list…..

quote:

Originally posted by xjcsa
    We purchased a GLD for my church’s portable system and I *LOVE* it. LOVE it. An incredible value for the price.

BUT – an offline editor would be a nice addition for rider friendliness.

My primary touring gig is mostly an artist doing solo fly dates (artist & piano/guitar/tracks), but we do some full band fly dates as well. We just finished rewriting our rider. I had them add the GLD to the solo rider, but not the band rider, specifically because there’s no editor software to build a show file ahead of time.

The iLive made the cut for the new band rider (along with the obvious M7, CL5, and Avid desks), but the GLD is on the solo rider only, since for solo shows I can dial things in quick enough that the show file doesn’t really matter.

So yes, the GLD is an incredible desk, but editor software would potentially land it on at least one more rider than it’s currently on.

So what you are saying s that you can’t afford to buy a $5.00 thumb drive and save a show file on it? Get real! You’ll waste more time dicking around with an offline editor than you ever would just getting up there and making a mix happen. I have mixed hundreds of bands on my GLDs and never once did I think to myself that I wished I had spent four hours the night before building a show file for a days worth of festival bands.

There are a very few instances where I think an offline editor would be handy.

Trust me, I have had a few requests from A&H for the GLD, most notably with regards to the scenes which didn’t work correctly in the beginning. Particularly having next/previous scene soft key options. They worked that out.

The GLD is small enough to set it on a desk and intuitive enough to build a show within two or three minutes while sitting there. I could probably have a complete scene built before your computer finished booting and you started on off line editor.

Any of us that have been in this business for more than 10 years (24 years or me) know the these fancy digital toys we have are luxuries. We used to build our mixes on the fly in a matters of a few minutes using racks of gear. We had to rematch cables on the back of consoles to get comps and gates on the correct channels and groups to our liking. We had total recall of all our settings in our fingertips, not on our thumb drives, we carried pictures or diagrams of our console settings to get back to where we were after the opening act screwed up our settings.

A&H has mentioned many times on these forums that an offline editor was not a priority for the GLD. They did however provide three very good preset show files with the console that would be great for about 97% of the performers out there and can be edited way faster than it would take with an offline editor!

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

People using the GLD in churches would benefit from being able to set up the console as needed for the next service without having to go into the church to get access to it. Different if you’re sitting in a warehouse with the desk available to you.

I do agree that it is unreasonable to complain about the absence of a feature that was never suggested or advertised, but not having had something in the past does not mean it may not be useful now or in the future.

…GLD’s didn’t exist in the past either…

Chris

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

This is a request. A request is not a complaint or a command. I think it is quite a reasonable request.

The comments above are largely from users, great, I’m a user too.

I’m also a vendor. Having editor software would enable me to better support my customers. I could load their files and look at them while I’m at another venue or at my desk or at a Bob Evans Restaurant and help them get where they want to go or help them trouble shoot issues specific to the show/venue.

It’s another tool that competitive lines have that I’d like to have to work with. I don’t care if A&H promised it or not. We (A&H and Me) need it. It obviously costs something to write one. I’m saying it also costs something to not have one.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Ryan,

Mixing a band is an entirely different animal from mixing a musical play as I believe you know.

The off-line editor is as useful to musical theater operator as the iPad app is to the live band operator. One is very useful before load-in, one is very useful after load in. That is the most distilled essence of the difference I can think of.

I also mix the occasional festival and one-off show so I also am familiar with your side of the art. Neither discipline is superior. Both are quite different but still fun. As long as we are getting paid all is well.

With a musical 98% of the work is done before opening night. In fact significant work is done weeks before equipment load in. I must put in 10 to 20 hours into a mix before I even hook up my 30 wireless mics and work with actors. We musical mixers also are recalling cues that are (at times) only seconds apart. I regularly have 170 scenes in one performance. My 170 scene memories usually get revised about 12 times before opening night. The big overall picture an editor would provide is a huge benefit here.

That is why some add their voice to the editor software request choir. Like mine for example. :)

Respect.

John

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

A knowledgeable person told me that editor software is on the way. Maybe by Infocom which is June 12-18th.

This person is not a A&H employee but he is usually right about stuff.

So I’ll STFU till then.[:D]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.