GLD-80 Froze during rehearsal. Not starting.

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD-80 Froze during rehearsal. Not starting.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Volum Volum 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

Today i was starting day two of rehearsels for tomorrows gig. Choir, full band, and some other stuff. Then my mixers work-surface “froze”. None of the knobs and buttons worked (other than the ones lit when it froze), but the touch display seemed to work as it should, though the mixer would not shut down correctly (I pressed the “Yes” button, but it just turned grey…), mixer still passed audio, luckily. Eventually I had to turn it off by using the “on/off” switch…

Scenario: GLD80, AR2412 and AR84 linked, no cards in the mixer, no routers or pc and pc’s connected. Gig was indoors, and the board was not moved since yesterdays sound-check.

Afterwords the mixer repeated the same procedure every time it turned on, removing the USB-stick did not help, resetting the mixer did not help, and installing the firmware (1.02) again did not help. Every time I started the mixer and hit some of the buttons, it froze after a minute or two.

Quite frustrating indeed, when the choir, conductor, band and MC’s all asking for monitor-adjustments which i could not give them… We had to stop everything, and people went home.

Seven hours and many attempts later the mixer is still not up and running. Disconnecting everything did not help, and it suddenly would not even boot! The display showed som odd graphic coloring, and there was a message about “Xorg and a lot of numbers repeatedly flashing on screen. After a while (and some more attempts to reboot) there was a message telling me “no contact with motor faders”…

Show starts in 16 hours, and the only other GLD within range is 4 hours drive away, 8 hours round trip… This could get exiting :-/

I’ll let you guys know how this turns out (with the mixer I mean, the show is another story) when i know some more…

PS: Pardon my typo’s. It’s two o’clock at night here now, and i need some shuteye. DS

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

This is probably too late to help your current situation.

I suggest booting the desk without the the outboard units hooked up.

If it boots with a default show file and operates correctly, you could then try booting again and adding the snake boxes attaching one at a time in between boots, to identify if it is a core issue on the desk, a connection to one of the boxes or an issue with a bad outboard box.

Over the years, I have encountered other proprietary networked systems where one bad connection or device can bring down the system.

Best of luck.

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

GLD did not boot, not even with just the power cable connected. Got good help from the Norwegian distributor, but the mixer has to be shipped for a major service. Got a Presonus SL24, and did the show, just got home…

Suspicions goes towards the USB-system, so to all of you GLD-users out there i would suggest to minimize the USB-use until A&H has a clue on what’s going on… I hear they have issued a press release regarding problems similar to whatI encountered…

We shall all keep the faith though, in a month or so we will have an iPad app, and a new firmware (hopefully with longer delaytime settings for the FX’s, and other goodies :)

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.