Dante, iLive and Hackintosh?!

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante, iLive and Hackintosh?!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CMattE CMattE 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of guyharris
    guyharris
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Quite a strange one, but does anyone have any experience of using a Dante or MADI card on a Hackintosh?! :-)

We currently run quite a strange system: MacPro, running Mainstage, with MADI into the iDR32. Whilst we are quite happy with the iLive and the OSx-based software, we are not so happy with the Mac hardware, and we feel that price/quality, it no longers offers enough.

Our thought is to build our systems into our new flightcases, thus saving cabling and set-up time at gigs, as well as reducing wear and tear on inputs and cables. The logical thing to do is to use rackmount PC units, or even Xserve, but this means moving to Dante, as it’s probably not going to work with MADI.

Has anyone gone down this road at all?

Cheers!

http://www.pianojam.nl

guyharris
    Participant

Just wanted to add, in case anyone was wondering, that we purchase ALL our software (musical and otherwise) and this is not a case of acting illegally: just frustration with certain Apple issues and an attempt to find a workaround! I’d happily use 2 year-old Xserves if they took PCI-e cards … :-)

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

it should be working fine (i tried a few times)
    be prepared for advanced lan driver research – and wireless probably
    plus graphic cards have to be carefully chosen by researching hackingtosh sites FIRST to avoid frustration.
    i would assure having +4 pcie slot onboard because the upcoming dante pcie card might be a serious temptation
    not for recording (gig lan is far enough) but for running vst/core audio effects.
    i ll be testing a hackintosh laptop next week. i ll let you know

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

guyharris
    Participant

Thanks, Dave.

I’m probably going to buy an old-ish Xserve, experiment with that, together with a Dante card first.

The driver behind what we’re doing is set-up times; we think we can reduce our set-up times from the current +/- 3 hours to 30 minutes plus roll-in by reorganising our flightcase solutions; cabling and positioning of 4 / 5 flightcases takes too long, especially when we have an identical set-up every time. The iLive is really a glorified soundcard in our set-up, so it makes sense to ‘install’ it, together with our ‘sample player,’ once and for all.

The Hackintosh world seems to be quite demanding, and leads to ‘frustration’ as you correctly point out! ;-)

Cheers!

Guy

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I have Hack from bizon-pc.com very good option not expensive & works grate!

agutin.com
    2x iDR32 +MADI OPTION
    MacBook,
    desktop+2x RME HDSP MADI 2 X M DANTE CARDS

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Also don’t overlook the new Mac mini’s. Affordable and surprisingly powerful. Especially the quad-core server model. And with a thunderbolt to pcie adapter you can still have some expandability options.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

Profile photo of Tuejo
    Tuejo
    Participant

Hi.

What is keeping you on OSX? I use a Windows 7 PC with a SSL MX4 card. I run it as RDP from my IPad.

Cheers.

guyharris
    Participant

CMattE: the ‘problem’ with the Mac Mini is the lack of twin drives, plus the PCI-E, but I will check it out. The Mac Mini server looks like a good machine, but I wonder how it will handle being ‘servered’ for real in a rack, with heat etc.

Tuejo: having tried to run Ivory for about a year on Windows platforms, there is no way I’m going back! I love Mainstage, and that means OS-X! :-)

I have bought a 2008 Xserve for evaluation, and it arrives tomorrow morning. I’m going to mod the unit, by putting in stabilising spacers and gel between the motherboard and the housing, as I’ve heard from a great source that the Xserve motherboards can succumb to flex problems.

Thanks guys … I will post after testing.

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

Yeah the mini isn’t necessarily for everyone, but you can put 2 HD’s in them (the server models come with 2), and the newest ones have thunderbolt. Which can be used for PCIe. https://magma.com/thunderbolt.asp However I cannot say how they hold up to the heat and being racked.

I’d also be very interested to know how the xserve works for you. I’ve always thought that would be a good portable solution also.

T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.