How did he do that?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions How did he do that?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CareyD CareyD 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

While browsing around I found this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdjdKRyQcfo. It is “Carey Davies from Allen & heath discusses how to set up a dual iLive system”. At 1:47 Carey startes explaining his outputs.

Here is what i wonder….

He states he is using an iDr32, and has 6 wedge outputs, 1 engineers listen wedge , 6 stereo IEM’s and an engineers IEM . If my count is right…..

6 mono wedges

1 out each = 6
    engineers wedge

1 output = 1
    6 stereo IEM’s

2 Outputs each = 12
    1 stereo IEM for engineer — 2 outputs = 2

6 + 1 + 1 2 + 2 = 21
    …then I count at least 21 outputs. My question is ….How is that possible with only 16 output sockets? Is he really sending a stereo mix to the IEM’s out one XLR socket somehow or sending a mono signal split to the Left and Right of the stereo IEM transmitter giving them a dual mono IEM? Am I missing something?

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Kris,

There is one IDR16 racks and a IDR32 with ACE cards to have a digital split. One IDR for FOH and one for Mon. so you basically have 16 + 8 outputs available , that’s 24 total.

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

anyway it would save a lot of cables if one could assign a stereomix to one output (i know not symmtrical anymore)in one of my cases (10 piece band stereo in ear wired with preamps with stereojack input….

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 / idr 48 /dante (i want midi in dante!)

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

Lieven,
    If that is the way he is doing it then I can understand that. What is throwning me off is that he is pointing to the iDr32 outputs the whole time he is explaining it and it makes it seem as though he is outputing all of those from that single unit without regard to the iDr16 above.

Kris

Profile photo of Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Lieven-Dewispelaere
    Participant

Kris,

In the video you see that there are XLR cables coming out from the IDR32 AND the IDR16 outputs. But i suppose not all the outputs are connected in that video. That’s why he is referring to the IDR32 when talking about the stereo in-ears.

Regards

Lieven

T112/IDR48/R72/IDR16/xDR16/IPad1
    Save a tree, eat a beaver

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

Lieven
    Thanks for the info. It just didn’make sense the way he was saying it, but I knew it was possible the was you are stating it too. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something.

Thanks again

Kris

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Kris,

Dont forget about the surface outs also available. Although in this video, I believe he is just explaining the show setup. Not really hooked up that far and extensive, not that many xlr’s plugged into the outs of either mixrack it dont appear. Good job of explaining the setup just not real clear on the actual plug’s and cables and where they would be plugged into. Just the thoughts after watching.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by KB7981

My question is ….How is that possible with only 16 output sockets? Is he really sending a stereo mix to the IEM’s out one XLR socket somehow or sending a mono signal split to the Left and Right of the stereo IEM transmitter giving them a dual mono IEM? Am I missing something?
    Kris

Hi Kris and all,
    That video was run on the spur of the moment at the end of a day running showroom training on the iLive. The system was not plugged up to wedges, IEM etc and therefore not best suited to demonstrate the full FOH/Monitor story…

I simply intended to explain the principles of linking the two iLive systems, the digital mic split and input sharing. My apologies if that confused a few of you by not showing a fully plugged system and explaining all its routing capabilities.

To answer your question… Yes, the iDR-32 has 16 outputs so 21 into 16 of course does not go, but, as Lieven points out, there are a further 8 outs on the iDR-16 rack. Monitor mixes can be sent over the ACE link and soft patched directly to spare sockets on the second rack. In this example you would get 24 sockets at the racks on stage.

That said, you can also use the outputs on the back of the monitor Surface which is positioned near the racks. These can be assigned to feed some of the monitors too, for example the engineers wedge and IEM feeds, extra IEM and comms from FOH.

We are planning a series of training videos which should include a more complete presentation of the full set up, linking and patching of the FOH/Monitor application. If it helps I will try to get an application drawing together to illustrate the example I alluded to in the impromtu video :)
    I hope that makes sense,
    Carey

Profile photo of KB7981
    KB7981
    Participant

Carey,
    Thanks for the explanation. I knew it was possible to output thru both racks and all, but as I said earlier, it just threw me when you said “6 Stereo in ears…” while pointing to the iDr32 and I knew there wasn’t going to be enough sockets left on that rack alone. However, That all made sense as far as the possibilities.

I also meant no disrespect to you in any way. As I reread one of my posts, it almost sounded derogitory and it was not meant that way at all. Sorry.

Thanks to all who replied.

Kris
    Indiana, USA

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

No problem Kris, thanks for pulling me up on my omission. Will be much more detailed in next video, and I will try to get a drawing of this application together soon [:)]
    All the best,
    Carey

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.