iLive to Roland REAC Card?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive to Roland REAC Card?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of martijn martijn 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of unonuncasabe
    unonuncasabe
    Participant

Hi everybody!
    I’m looking at the M-48 personal mixers as the best product for in-ear monitoring out there. The downside: Roland’s own REAC protocol.
    They came out with a MADI to REAC converter but it’s another $2500.
    Who would sign up for an A&H REAC card?

Andy Rossi

Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Andy, I am new to the forum but have been following for some time. Hopes to have a I-Live before next year.I agree that the Reac system is very nice. However that particular product is very “within itself”. I would sugest that maybe you look at the Allen and Heath PL series controllers. They adapt very niceley and with the outstanding customer support that you read about so much here on the forum. Why would we need to look any further. There are already several other interfaces that work well and so many of them can be adapted. I personally like the Hear bus and the adaptable system. There are others that work well if you can give up the additional analog outs that also interface easily. If you dont mind me asking What setting are you working in the Most. Have a great day.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

unonuncasabe
    Participant

I work at a mid to big church. Different bands every week. 12 monitor mixes. Drums, 2 El.Gtrs, Ac.GTR, Bass, ST grand, ST keys, Percs, 4 or 5 BGVs 1 or 2 Lead VOX, Choir, sometimes string quartet, and what not…
    There are ways to configure Avioms, but everything ends up being mono and the signals to the BGVs are mixed in a bus, etc. I demoed the PLs but there’s still a bit too much cabling in order to make them viable, and also a little risky to program and isolate them from the scenes. M-48 mixers are able to mix your aux channel and an ambient mic which is really neat, and all the mixing happens in the mixers, not the A&H MixRack which I think is a little too risky for our environment.
    May be an iPad App emulating a personal monitor mixer???…

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

If you have the money,
    Just get RSS new MADI box. It converts MADI to REAC. Than install a MADI card on your iLive.
    Expensive solution, but it should work.
    I’d just wait and see what happens in the next few months………..

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

here is a link
    https://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/en/products/audio/digtal-snakes/accessories/s-madi

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.

Profile photo of abstractnoise
    abstractnoise
    Participant

Think you’d also need some kind of Roland mixer to plug the REAC into to get it working. From what I recall, these devices rely on a real mixer to do the mixing/routing for the 16 inputs supported by the M48, which I *think* then are mixed locally.

Sounds to me like a bloke with a laptop and some extra outputs from your existing A&H setup would be a cheaper and more compact solution? Or split the iLive inputs to another IDR unit if you need more dedicated outputs.

“A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kickboxing.”
    -unknown.

Profile photo of martijn
    martijn
    Participant

what about PL-Anet??
    musicans can control all the mixes you want AND you can adjust them too!
    (turn everything down ;-)
    Hearbus and Aviom are already available (and much cheaper!)

unonuncasabe
    Participant

The PL option is always there and it sounds good in theory, but because the mixing is done in the Mixrack there has to be some isolation from scenes besides the update button. What if some operator hits the store all button?
    I’m not saying I got it figured out, but if someone is actually working the PL way, I’d appreciate some real-world input. Even some thoughts from A&H people.

Thanks guys.

Andres.

Profile photo of martijn
    martijn
    Participant

i know a few users who use this setup and this works perfectly!
    if the operator presses store all then all the data is being stored in the scene.
    you can or (hit him/her on the fingers ;-) remove the data from the scene or recal the initial show.
    the advantage if you store all is that all the settings are being stored!
    so if the musicians make any changes this will also be recalled on a scene by scene basis.
    this wont work with aviom.
    just get a cheap multichannel headphone amp.
    distibute the outputs on stage and you are more flexible than aviom!
    + you can let everyone control ” their” set of channels.
    iow: singer has band/backings/own voice, drummer has kick/snare/hat/bas/key/vocs, etc etc. (you can even change this on a scene by scene bases!!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.