using R72 for both FOH and mon…..

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions using R72 for both FOH and mon…..

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hi, with 1x R72 and 1x idr rack (32/16) trying to patch same inputs in different channels for use as both foh and mon , I can use the same input and “split” it to lets say input 1 on foh and input 31 for monitors, I can also set pre amp gain on surface for ip1 and trim on surface for ip31 but……….that means the paths are not quite separate….i.e. if I select a different pre amp gain at foh, then the value will change in the monitors!!!””” so maybe this is not the way to do this??? any other ideas on this???

Thanks

RayS

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Set the initial gain at sound check with one DSP channel set to “preamp on surface” and then change both split channels to “Trim on Surface” Now either FOH or monitor can adjust gain (Trims) without effect to the other. If after some mix time you discover that both FOH and Monitor trims are set the same-( for example -6db) then you could change one channel back to preamp on surface, reduce the gain (6db), change back to Trim on surface and reset the trims to 0db on both.

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Thanks Stix, is there a way to prevent monitors from changing/accessing the pre amp after we set it up w/trims on surface??? nothing personnal monitor mixers, but I usually get different mon guys in different venues….

RayS

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

So is there a fails safe way to do both foh and mon.? no matter what I try I get either the editor affecting the surface mix and vice versa….. is there a way to know when your in what state and when your not……..???

Ray

RayS

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

What about storing your settings as scene? By recalling it you’ll be 100% sure it’s what you expect.

ddff_lv

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

storing to a scene……. the thing is, scenes in editor are not necessarily the same as the ones stored on the surface……unless you copied them from the usb key …and named them the same!!!!!!so If I’m in a mon/foh config…..whatever one is doing eventually acts on the other…I saved 2 scenes on the surface called them x and y did the same in editor called them v, w…when I recall w in editor i get a state of” unknown” on the surface….i.e. its neither x nor y , iif ts scene 1 in the editor it recalls scene 1 on surface ……and the more changes are done to scenes the worst this gets if you have more than 1 editor (1 at foh and another at mon for ex and a surface.) the state I’m talking about is the one where I would know i am affecting mon or vice versa or i’m not…..I guess that is easily done by setting up a totally different “custom” config in the mon section making sure nothing done there is actually affecting the foh…..but then there is the situation when you save scenes etc at foh using the editor……. kind of damned if you do damned if you don’t ! so there must be some other way of doing this?….I like to save a lot when using computers…so archiving every little change might ( as I found out) not be the way to do it……store all in scenes seems much faster, so maybe I must look at this in a different way??!!

Also the only way I found to know which scene I am in is to look at the surface …no feedback from the editor??!! so if I haven’t named my 3rd scene on the surface but I have in the editor I am shown a “no name” scene although the # 3 is there so I know its the 3rd…..but I don’t know that in the editor!!!?? or have I not found it??

Thanks

Ray

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

to continue on this…..the “surface ” tab in editor either affects the surface or doesn’t!! I can have a totally different aspect to my editor surface from the one actually represented on the actual surface…however if I store that to a scene in the editor these changes don’t necessarily appear at the surface…..so again is this a case where either I want to change something faster by using the editor rather than the surface but I do want the surface to reflect the change….I’m just trying to figure out what’s the best and safest way to do this…..

thanks

Ray

RayS

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.