Static IP addressing

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Static IP addressing

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bucks bucks 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mikeidge
    mikeidge
    Participant

i see alot of talk on here about making the ilive more reliable when mixing wirelessly by using static ip. is there a walkthrough somewhere about how to do this in a linksys router and how to do it in your computer? it seems like there are a million places in the router to type ip addresses and same for the computer.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello.

To clarify, static vs DHCP will make no difference to the reliability of the laptop <-> iLive comms.

DHCP is primarily about IP address acquisition, once a lease has been granted to your laptop, the signal strength and reliability of the link will be identical to a system which has had addresses allocated statically.

If you’re worried about signal strength you should read the wiki on 802.11 specifically N which dramatically increases wireless cloud range.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

Basically buy a ‘N’ wireless access point if your worried. The way in which the IP addresses are allocated makes no difference to link strength / reliability.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of mikeidge
    mikeidge
    Participant

Hi Andy. I am using a wireless n router and I have had multiple issues. Basically, I have had the console freeze up more than once requiring a reboot. This only happens when I am mixing wirelessly.

Profile photo of selfmade
    selfmade
    Participant

i´m useing a wireless accesspoint for mixing/or redunandt setup with a laptop.
    it´s very important that the wireless adapter (router or accesspoint) have a static ip on the input site!
    most of them can´t do that. i found one: level one wbr3800, that´s working perfect.
    the ip-adresses you need for static ip, you can find it at the manual.

hamburg

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi

Have you checked your signal strength ?

We are aware if you roam to far / walk behind pillars etc with Editor connected, at the point at which the signal strength rate limits the connection to below the requirement for Editor, there is a knock on performance degradation affect on the surface.

We are prototyping a multicast metering system for V1.60 which will greatly improve this situation, but your router / wireless access point will need to be hardware compliant.

More details to follow.

If you need any additional support, I suggest you open a ticket @

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

selfmade
    Participant

a multicast metering system?

please explain!

hamburg

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Not sure if this is relevant or will help I am sure Bucks will help me out. I went down the mac address thing on the wireless router I have in the FOH rack. Also invested in some slightly more interesting aerials for the router. By using the mac address that I believe (help Bucks) speeds things up as no security system is needed. The aerial thing is just like using your wireless microphones, you would not rely on the helical whips supplied would you?
    I use a cheap and cheerful wireless router I must admit, though I may switch to the Level one unit suggested as I have Level One fibre switches at both ends of my system and they have been great, very reliable touch wood.[8D]

Mr. B.

Profile photo of grahamwhite
    grahamwhite
    Participant

My setup is a standard Linksys WRT54G router with 6dbi aerials on 6foot cables i can mount these high up and get great coverage.

I use standard WEP encryption and i my wireless laptop IP is set manually to 192.168.1.105

I have stood at FOH behind 18,000 people and still had a solid connection.

on the other hand i have been stood 10 feet away from the router and it has sometimes failed to connect..[?] Not often thankfully.

It does help to know the specific IP addresses of each component in the iLive system and it also helps to have a bit of knowledge on how wifi networks and IP addressing works.

Mikeidge – try it first without any wireless security and once its working then add WEP/WPA keys.

If you are using a Linksys router then they default to automatically assigning IP addresses from 192.168.1.101 onwards… you should ensure that no devices use the following addresses as these are used by the iLive system.

192.168.1.101 – Mixrack
    192.168.1.102 – Surface (or touchscreen)
    192.168.1.103 – Touchscreen (or surface)

ensure that you give your laptop a non conflicting address, say 192.168.1.104 subnet needs to stay set at 255.255.255.0 if memory serves me correctly.

You using Mac or PC?

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello Mr B

Hmm. interesting idea.

For those not in the loop Mr B has disabled his WEP / WPA encryption and is instead using simple MAC address filtering on his router.

My gut feeling would be if the router H/W manufacturer states the equipment as 80211 g / n compatible, then the encryption / decryption engine would be capable of performing at those speeds. I.E I wouldn’t have thought it would make a difference.

However googling suggests otherwise, and that V. cheap routers may lack the processing punch to perform the encryption / decryption at full load.

The load used by an iLive in a quiescent state should be around 157 KB/s == 1.2 Mbits /s so on a 80211g 54 Mbits router even with the encryption turned on, it would have to be quite an overhead to notice a difference.

As for Ariel technology i’m staying well clear ! I’m sure someone will chip in.

Selfmade for an overview of multicast see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

selfmade
    Participant

please take a look at the wireless channels!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

there can be a intermodulation with wireless adapters that send on the same channel. the same problem with wireless mic´s and the intermodulation between similar frequenzies!

you have to check the area for the channels first! and than choose/prepare the wireless-router/accesspoint to a free channel!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of Geep
    Geep
    Participant

There is a nice ap for the iPhone that will analyze all wireless networks it hears and graph the channel results, could be most helpful in selecting a clear channel. The ap is WiFi Analyzer and is US$1.99 at the ap store. Works very nicely.

Geep

selfmade
    Participant

that works with my notebook-software, too. and it´s for free!

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

Yeah, but why not trying to switch to an dualband router and work within the 5GHZ band?
    I did so and never had any issue with wlan again.

selfmade
    Participant

good idea!

i´ve no problem with my workaround, too.

greetings from hamburg

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello All

Sorry to be pedantic Graham, but someone might get confused by the IP addresses you listed.

The default are:

192.168.1.1 – Mixrack
    192.168.1.2 – Surface
    192.168.1.3 – Touchscreen

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.