iLive and iPhone? A marriage made in heaven?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions iLive and iPhone? A marriage made in heaven?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of simonstpauli simonstpauli 14 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BigBlueTom
    BigBlueTom
    Participant

Is there any plans for an iLive app on the iPhone?

I.E a scaled down version of the editor, would be useful for personal monitor setups or just tweaking when walking the room…is this a possibility?

Does anyone think it could even work?

Let me know your thoughts

Profile photo of Theo4ever
    Theo4ever
    Participant

You can use a VNC client on your iPhone. That will give you the possibility to control the editor on your mac or pc. It will give a small delay but ik works fine to me

Je moet een gegeven kabel niet in de plug kijken!

Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

My guess is you’d be more likely to see it on an Android phone first. The editor is written in Java, and that’s what Android uses for apps. So it would be a much easier port. And in the next year or so there will be a lot of different Android phones on the market.

David Schmoldt

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello All

For those not in the loop VNC is a way of virtual networking.

It allows you to run Editor on a laptop and then by using a VNC server forward (send) the screen data to your iPhone.

The iPhone then displays an exact copy of your laptop screen and sends back keyboard and mouse information to your laptop, by using a VNC Client.

We’ve tested a laptop running Editor with Real VNC Server

https://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html

with an iPhone 3GS with Jaadu VNC Client- available from AppStore.

https://www.jaaduvnc.com/

Which works quite well, the click and drag take a bit of getting use to, but for remote control from an iPhone its reasonably usable.

We’re still looking into a native iPhone app, but no promises as yet, so in the mean time this might be a good solution for all you tech enthusiasts !

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Hey – I got an iPod Touch for XMas (Lucky Me) and this is SOOOO COOOL!!!

I was thinking of getting a tablet PC so I could remote EQ speakers from anywhere wirelessly but with this set up I can pull the iPod Touch out of my pocket, run jaadu VNC and have my laptop screen and control of it in the palm of my hand in a matter of seconds! You can navigate with precision in mouse mode, select an output EQ window, zoom in (simple three finger tap)then change to touch screen mode and EQ away on the faders.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/audiodyn/4277096749/[/img]
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/audiodyn/4277096749/

If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone and a wireless router this is so easy to set up and use. Actually if the router is connected to the internet then you can remote control any software on the laptop/desktop from anywhere with internet wi-fi access. Brilliant!!!

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of User
    User
    Participant

Worth noting that Apple’s soon-to-be-announced Tablet will be running a version of the iPhone OS, which may be more reason to develop a native application for that platform. Whether it will support Java is still unknown (iPhone does not).

edit: it does not support Java.

Profile photo of styler1982
    styler1982
    Participant

Just bumping this in response to the announcement of the iPad. It seems to me the time has come for a native app.

Stephen Tyler
    Coordinator of Technical Operations
    ACM@UCO
    http://www.acm-uco.com
    iLive T-112/iDR-32

Profile photo of dschmoldt
    dschmoldt
    Participant

I have a 22-inch touch screen running under Windows 7. I tried running the editor software … mo way would I want to use that in touch-only mode. A big fat finger doesn’t have nearly the precision of a mouse pointer and mouse.

David Schmoldt

Profile photo of User
    User
    Participant

Which is why a new UI from scratch should be developed for a tablet. You can’t just shoe-horn an existing GUI into a form factor like the iPad or iPhone, it just doesn’t work.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hello All

Not promising anything yet, but what sort of features would people want from an iPhone app ?

Any discussion or suggestions would help us in the design of future software, so get involved !

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

Small child with good eyesight small fingers and an advanced brain to work the blessed thing is what I would need Andy[:D]

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

i got a msi all in one touch,with the desktop magnifier (win 7) its cool the only thing i miss is double touch (the screen does support it)
    of course the magnifier is a workaround- it would be great to have resizable channels-at least in the custom strip, i miss as well mousewheel ability
    on faders- too it would be cool to have “numerical” input on everything “that has numbers”

ps: what the heck is finding nemo colour sheme in the editor jar???
    sounds like bloody mickymouse[;)] (john hembrow alvin lees manager)

cheers
    dave

allen&heath iLive-144 /idr 10 /

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

Mainly the ability to easily and quickly access mix output GEQ,PEQ, Level and delay settings – very useful for setting up speaker zones. For the GEQ how about say eight touch faders (landscape) with a bottom freq scroll bar (Swipe left/right)and bank L/R buttons, with numerical level values above each fader (so your fat finger doesn’t obscure your view) and along the top display the current selected mix (Text)inside a horizontal master level fader. Also next and previous mix buttons (or a drop down menu?)to quickly select another mix with the GEQ window staying active and updating. Level faders would likely need a slow ramp up time so you don’t accidently bump something to full just by tapping in the wrong place! Or perhaps master levels can only be turned up with say a two finger or combination touch?
    Perhaps overlay the spectrum analyser on the GEQ? That would be something special!(Like Contour/smaart)

Another suggestion would be to be able to put (and lock) a single monitor mix send on the iphone/touch . Then each musician could have their own iphone/Touch for their monitor send. Kinda like a wireless Aviom personal monitor. As you can connect multiple editor sessions this should be possible?

Richard
    IDR48/T112

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

forget the iphone, just worry about the iPad!!!
    picture this….omg there are two (maybe even 3) frequencies feeding back right now…here, let me grab all three! and bring them down 3db…

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by frozenwaffles

forget the iphone, just worry about the iPad!!!
    picture this….omg there are two (maybe even 3) frequencies feeding back right now…here, let me grab all three! and bring them down 3db…

I think the ipad would be much better for this. If the app would run on both it would be great. Obviously it would need to be limited, things like channel mute and fader control would be nice very simple and limited. Then maybe punch a button to bring up an eq screen or limited channel strip. Forward and back arrows would be nice kind of like a browser so you could go back and forth from one screen to the next. have the fader view assignable to any channel aux etc even mains. Just in case…Will need to come up with an easy way to select what you want to see though since the screen real estate is limited.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.