Wifi network?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Wifi network?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LKY LKY 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

So,

Has anyone run the qu into a preexisting wifi/wired network for use?

I have a private studio where there is already existing enterprise managed wifi network installed with some iOS devices for control of sound and crestron lighting systems.

It would be nice to use the existing…and not add another network/iOS device for dedicated use…

Wondering if anyone has tried it?

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Done it at home, given sufficient b/width qos you should be fine.

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Good to hear…

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

I use my own for two reasons. First, the obvious security issues. The router is plugged into the mixer, hidden from view by other wireless devices. I don’t have to worry about anyone else “helping” me with the mix.
    Second, I get all the bandwidth to myself. Qu-Pad is a pretty bandwidth intensive app. I’ll take all I can get.

I also have the peace of mind that I am not relying on someone else’s stuff.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Security would be my concern. Since there (currently) is no mechanism to “allow” a particular iDevice control over a Qu desk, using a separate (hopefully hidden) WiFi is the only chance for a rudimentary access management.

…just thinking of the mixer in the private studio controlled by someone somewhere within reach of the enterprise managed network… 😉

Profile photo of LKY
    LKY
    Participant

Well,

The enterprise management system is nice, and can/disable based on Mac address, and also it uses radius to authenticate…if your on the guest network it’s captive portal and only allows Internet traffic through te gateway, all internal addresses are blocked, and last line is the guests use a separate vlan as well which is only allowed on the wifi routers and the gateway, denied on all regular network systems…

So, security isn’t an issue…it’s actually much better than a simple wifi password…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.