What *IS* the TRUE dBFS level when the red LED lights

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions What *IS* the TRUE dBFS level when the red LED lights

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

If you require 18dBFS of headroom to feel comfortable, great, you do you. I don’t care to get a multi-paragraph response to such a short informational post. Maybe one of the people who was talking about how they never hit the red would care more rather than the person simply pointing out an A&H post.

***content removed – personal comment that does not contribute to the thread*** Mute a channel (iPod stereo or USB input maybe playing a fixed frequency tone) in the main mix/monitors and solo it, then turn up the gain and listen in the headphones (with the volume control set to a safe level) until you start hearing clipping or see the red peak light blink — there you go, you’ve now got a better idea of how far different LEDs are from clipping and what your comfort level with different LEDs is. I don’t really care to hear objections about how this isn’t a particularly great idea or why it can’t be done — just wait for an A&H rep to answer the question instead, or try opening a support ticket.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@davidco

Thanks.

That was implied in one place in the documentation. But other places seem to say differing things.

volounteer
    Participant

@ryan

I have done research.
    Only have the necessary mikes on and set to provide proper sound to the audience.

Feel free to NOT read my posts. Or to respond unless it makes you feel better.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Ahh, things make sense now. It’s tough not having some time outside of services like a soundcheck/rehearsal to experiment and try things out in a safe space.

volounteer
    Participant

@ryan
    The music director has perhaps an hour to try a sound check with new things being done that week.
    We have to expect the weekly routine items will work right again.

And he is up to his alligators with other duties which limits his time.

However he did suggest that we try to meet once a week for a while so the noobies can get more hands on without any stress.
    And he has spent a couple of times with the dealers tech to go over everything. Don’t know what the disconnect is from that and what actually happens Sunday AM. We did find that one knob had been turned without the channel being selected. Not sure what that did but apparently it was part of the problem. We put a cup over the gain knob to remind people to NOT use it. Eventually everyone will be set as only basic user when we are sure that no other things will need to be changed except faders and mutes.

He has many rehearsals but only with the sound system before Sunday AM services.

Today he had two of us measuring the sound levels in the balcony and audience.
    I suspect that that will lead to some improvements albeit just tweaks not major changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.