Using Ableton for Plug-Ins through Dante

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Using Ableton for Plug-Ins through Dante

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rectify.media Rectify.media 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PandaXprs
    PandaXprs
    Participant

I’ve searched through the forums to try to find a solution to this, forgive me if it’s been answered already:

We’re currently using a DM0 to pull off our main stage box, to a broadcast room. In that broadcast room, we have three IP8’s connected to a MacMini that’s running the D-Live Director software where we normally mix. I’m looking to send the audio out through Insert B, to Dante, into Ableton to utilize plug in’s, then back into D-Live via Dante. Essentially just looping Ableton in via Insert B. I’m seeing signal in the D-Live software, seeing it register in Ableton, but I’m not receiving it back. When I disable the Insert, audio passes no problem, so I think I’m just missing something as far as routing back into D-Live. My questions are:

– Am I missing something with the send and return?
    – Can I send and receive audio on Dante within the same computer, running the DLive Director and the DAW, or does it have to be a separate machine like with running Waves?
    – And mainly, has anyone done this and had luck.

We were using WAVES via the waves card, but we’re happier with the sounds we should be able to get from Ableton plug in’s. Rather than using the WAVES card as the insert, I’m thinking that using the Dante card insert would be able to do the same thing? Then I would just route in Ableton to make sure it’s sending and returning. Any help appreciated!

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

You know that Dante requires additional routing in Dante Controller?

Profile photo of PandaXprs
    PandaXprs
    Participant

Hello, yes I routed in and out from the D-Live to the Internal Core Audio, and then Internal Core Audio back to D-Live.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

How do you connect Dante to Core Audio? I only know of ways to connect to DVS or DanteVia 🤔

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

First things first, in Dante controller, make sure that you are routing the dlive as the transmitter and the ableton computer as the receiver. Then also make sure you route the ableton as a transmitter and the dlive as a receiver. I personally set everything 1 to 1 to keep the routing as frustration free as possible. Setting it that way will allow you to send AND receive audio.

On the Ins B page set your send to be Dante slot/channel. The return should automatically be the same channel (I think). If you want the return to be a different channel, then Unassign the return and route ableton to return the audio on a different Dante/Dlive channel, then assign that channel to a separate fader.

Profile photo of Rectify.media
    Rectify.media
    Participant

Since the last place you describe seeing meters is on the input side of Ableton Live have you routed each channel out to the corresponding external output? By default, Live routes everything to the master bus.

If you have the output routing in Live then I would continue to work through the signal chain until you find the source(s) of the problem.

If your computer has enough resources to handle both applications running this on the same computer shouldn’t be a problem.

Additionally, you could also accomplish this same insert routing from the Waves SoundGrid card if you install the free SoundGrid driver on your computer. The SoundGrid driver works similarly to Dante Virtual Soundcard. Both Dante and SoundGrid are audio transport protocols. Because SoundGrid is most frequently talked about for plugin processing many overlook the fact that it can be used for recording or the audio routing you are attempting here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.