USB Pendrive reading/formatting??

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB Pendrive reading/formatting??

This topic contains 36 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Kingston Data Traveler series USB drivers work, really they do!
    Buy a couple new ones take them directly out of the factory package
    and go straight into the mixer and format.

They have been my one and only USB drive for my QU and QU’s I have put into
    installations for going on five years now.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

I would certainly hope they do work. It is frustrating trying to find one that will.
    Have two more unopened which I can test Sunday evening.
    Tonight got cancelled as one of the pastors is leaving for a bigger church and they had a social event with cake and talks.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

would certainly hope they do work. It is frustrating trying to find one that will.
    Have two more unopened which I can test Sunday evening.

Post a picture of the drives you have so we can make sure you do indeed have the correct
    models before you open the package.

I not kidding about sending me the Data Travelers you have that did not work, I’ll pay for them.
    My email is on my website.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

The package says kingston data traveller SE9 and the other one SE9G2.
    Pictures will not change what they are.
    Posting pictures for me is a major task. If the others fail I will get it done in spite of that.

I will use the ones that do not work, along with all the others that did not work, at home.
    Thanks for the offer.

Profile photo of John J
    John J
    Participant

We had two drives that both worked fine. One was a Kingston, the other a PNY. Both had plenty of memory remaining. QU-32 just stopped seeing them. Won’t even recognize them to format them. Just keeps searching for the PNY and doesn’t even connect with the Kingston. Any thoughts?

volounteer
    Participant

@johnj

Can you reformat them in the Qu?
    Or does it just not see them like it just does not see so many current USB memory sticks.

Can you run tests on them with your PC to see if they device may have problems or failed somehow?

Could you have run out of memory and the Qu has a latent bug in the firmware for that specific case?
    Perhaps it is a rare dual fault condition that just makes it not visible to the Qu any more???

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We had two drives that both worked fine. One was a Kingston, the other a PNY. Both had plenty of memory remaining. QU-32 just stopped seeing them. Won’t even recognize them to format them. Just keeps searching for the PNY and doesn’t even connect with the Kingston. Any thoughts?

Did you by chance use the the drives in something else and now they are not recognized
    in the QU.

The Kingston DT series are rock solid for me well except the one I reformatted in a PC
    to NTFS.

Profile photo of John J
    John J
    Participant

@volounteer @mike C

The QU won’t even recognize either drive to reformat.
    It no longer sees either. It previously saw both.
    We would take the drives and connect them to a PC to remove and process the recordings and put them back. The PNY was the primary drive we used, the Kingston the back up.

Both drives had better than 50% memory available, and have been in use for almost three years if not longer without issue.

We are running the latest firmware for our QU, too.

Thoughts on reformatting with a Mac?

volounteer
    Participant

@johnj

The Qu and many usb drives have all kinds of problems.
    It is possible that your drives got to memory that has problems so now Qu wont read them,
    or they may have had an internal failure of some sort so they are not recognized.

I found some old usb2 drives that worked well.
    White box no label from staples.

I later found some kingston drives that are working now.
    But no guarantee that they won’t have your problems later.

NOT ALL kingston, or any brand/model, is guaranteed to work.
    Makers keep changing that product but leave the same name/model on them which is misleading.

You could try reformatting on mac and old pc, but check AH specs first as they are picky about details you use to format with.
    You might want to also do a complete dskchk and defrag yada yada then format it properly for AH.
    Marking and getting rid of bad blocks of memory before formatting might help.

There is no known guaranteed solution to get usb drives to work on Qu.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Is it possible that the drives that don’t work have some sort of partition on them that has recovery software installed or something like that? Many times these small USB drives have these tiny partitions. I’d recommend opening the USB drive with a disk partitioning software (Windows Disk Management should work fine for example) and deleting every partition from the USB and creating a single large partition and formatting it. I suspect that will fix some of the issues people are seeing with these drives.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@john J –

Drives can and do fail, this happens all the time and in many uses, so is not directly related to the Qu.
    As others have said, the best thing to do first is to test and format your drives in a computer where you will be able to use tools to verify functionality.
    It does seem strange that both drives stopped working at the same time however, and that does point toward the mixer (or some other device common to both drives of course).
    To check this, you can try other USB storage devices and/or SD cards with adaptors as described here –
    https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/sd-card-adaptors-for-qu-drive-and-sq-drive

If no storage is working at all and you have tried a hard reset (hopefully you have a backup from before your keys stopped working), then please contact us using https://support.allen-heath.com
    We may also refer you to your local distributor who will be able to fully check over your unit (including hardware).

Thanks,
    Keith.

volounteer
    Participant

@brian

Why would that matter if it did not stop them from working originally?

I agree, based on what I think I know about usb & Qu, is that only one partition should exist for it to work.
    What could cause another partition to show up?

volounteer
    Participant

@johnj

I had a working usb memory stick that I tried to sneakernet to a win10 machine from my xp.
    After that the usb memory stick never worked again — except in that win10 but not in others where it had been working.
    So basically it was one way. Ever use it in win10 and it could not be used in other pcs again.
    next time I will burn a cd to move data to win10.

win10 does something to memory sticks and you should not ever take one from the Qu and use it in win10 unless you are a truly sooperdooper power user who knows how to keep win10 from screwing you over. maybe not even then.

volounteer
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H

Could you elaborate on this
    https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/958

To provide all details of the formatting when it is necessary on another device because Qu did not recognize it?

How can the Qu not recognize it when it is plugged in anyway?
    I can see other problems but it should know you plugged the drive in and give some other error message.

Profile photo of John J
    John J
    Participant

So I have attached a video of what is happening/not happening with the flash drives. They’re both PNY’s, not one PNY one Kingston, sorry.

They function fine in other devices, Win 10 PCs as well as others.

There is plenty of memory. The the little PNY has 128 GB for capacity and is at about 65GB used. The longer PNY is 64 GB and has about 3GB used.

There is micro SD that is a C4 16 GB through a USB adapter I tried tonight as well.

All have been reformatted to Fat32 and wiped clean.

All I get is a flashing yellow LED, which is dimmer than a normal USB connection, and 0 recognition from any drive whatsoever.

I’m not ready to try a hard reset, yet, because I can’t confirm we have backed up our settings as of yet (will know more tonight).

Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.