USB B streaming to PC very low volume

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting USB B streaming to PC very low volume

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brad
    Brad
    Participant

I am new to the Qu32. I am trying to stream our audio via USB B out of the Qu32 to a PC which we use to video stream our services to YouTube using vMix. I set channels 1 & 2 of USB streaming to our MTX 3 & 4 channels which we are currently running just out of the analog MTX 3 & 4 outputs to the PC through a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD which works just fine – but I am testing to see if we want to use more than just 2 channels into a DAW for a better mixdown of more channels before going out to our video stream. The problem I am having is that the audio coming from USB B to the PC is VERY low volume and can barely be heard. I’ve looked at the manual, searched here and looked for YouTube videos on the subject and just can’t find what the problem is.

So basically the route I am trying is something like this: All active channels > DCA 1,2,3,4 mix > MTX 3 & 4 > USB B channels 1 & 2 out > PC usb in

Any ideas?

Thanks! Brad

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@brad

We put ours on utoob by recording sound direct to the video camera mike input also using the matrix.

The camera has a humongous dynamic range and AGC control so our matrix output works fine even though it would seem to be high.
    Our camera has noise problems so that extra signal in smothers the internal camera noise ,and built in camera mike sounds that we can’t find a way to stop.

Makes no sense that the usbB would be very low and barely heard. Sounds like a DAW and pc issue using the usb interface.

Do you really need a better mix than you get from the matrix? Most utoob audio is terrible. Yours should already be so much better so that utoob users would never know the difference if you had a ‘better’ mixdown.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

There are a few ways to do this. You can set the master MTX fader all the way up. In the Matrix View panel you can boost the gain going from each channel into the Matrix. On the Matrix 3-4 effects processing screen set the compressor to 1:1 and increase the makeup gain. In your DAW, you probably have a gain control for each channel.

Hope these help you.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Not sure how you are exactly routing the matrix but you can not send a DCA group to the matrix mix.

If your wanted to do some tweaks to the mix going to the live stream you could use a mix buss for that. Say you need to bring up the spoken word input channels to the live stream just raise those on that mix, same goes for instruments that may be acoustically louder in the room but are too low on the live stream mix.
    If you use a mix set that mix to post fade, you can assign that mix directly to the USB out channels and have full over all control of levels, EQ, compression going to the live stream. I would suggest applying some compression to the live stream feed.

Another way would be to use the mix groups with a group for vocals, instruments and spoken word, assign those groups to the LR main mix and to the matrix, within the matrix
    mix balance the levels as needed, you can still add all of the needed output processing
    at the matrix output.

When assigning input channels to a group mix and assigning that group or groups to the main LR mix you need to go to those channels and un-assign them from the main LR mix outs.

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Could I get a simple break down of what I need to set to get our QU32 to play correctly via USB-B out? I do have the drivers and DAW install on the pc for it to connect to. I plug the usb into my computer and get very little through that device, Line In (QU32). I suspect that something simple is being missed. My goal is to run the audio into my laptop and out via OBS Project for casting.

Is there a basic quick tutorial to do what I think I want to do?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Could I get a simple break down of what I need to set to get our QU32 to play correctly via USB-B out? I do have the drivers and DAW install on the pc for it to connect to. I plug the usb into my computer and get very little through that device, Line In (QU32). I suspect that something simple is being missed. My goal is to run the audio into my laptop and out via OBS Project for casting.

Are you wanting to play back audio from the computer into the mixer via the USB B connection?

To patch the USB B as a playback input you need to go the pre-amp input patch menu.
    That will let you assign a USB B input to a mixer input channel and you can then treat it as a mixer input source with full processing.

Go to the IO patch menu and then the USB tab to select the input source for the USB track channels going into the computer.
    In the USB IO input patch you could select a Mix or Matrix and with that additional processing you could adjust the levels into the computer on those USB B input channels.
    Using a mix you could create a separate mix optimized just for streaming.

Profile photo of PastorPhil
    PastorPhil
    Participant

Did you get an answer?

Trying to run Qu-16 USB-B audio out to PC to Live Stream through Xsplit and getting really low audio levels.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Trying to run Qu-16 USB-B audio out to PC to Live Stream through Xsplit and getting really low audio levels.

The USB B sends out 18 tracks of audio, you need to determine what tracks your computer and streaming software are seeing and picking audio from.

I just set up a system and their computer and software was pulling audio from tracks 1 & 2.

You will need to go into the IO set up menu and under the USB tab select the mix source that you want to feed to the live by selecting the needed track or tracks and using the input knob scroll through the choices till you get the mix you need and then hit apply.
    You can then unassin inputs from the unneeded tracks.

Using a separate mix to feed the live stream will let you control the level, apply processing just for the live stream mix and customize the mix some for the live.

To start select the mix you want to use for live stream, set it to post fade and post all processing, and set all the channel mix send levels to unity, maybe bump up the level of the spoken word inputs a little above the others.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

If your usb sends are set as “Insert Sends”, you are getting the levels directly after the preamp gain level. Make sure the channel gain levels are set so their meters are bouncing in the yellow. Actually, do this in every situation.

Profile photo of Red
    Red
    Participant

We are sending our main lr audio from our mixer to a pc for Facebook live using a usb-b to usb cable. It works but the audio is super quiet. Setup > I/O stream > usb audio, 17/18 qu drive stereo using l+r pre. The audio in the room through the lr speakers is plenty loud. Even up too loud the Facebook audio is too quiet. Anyone know how to turn up the usb-b volume? Thanks

Profile photo of IvanM
    IvanM
    Participant

Hi Red
    did you find a solution for this issue? I’m faced with the same issue (SQ5 <—> ZOOM)
    thx
    ivan

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

The following article explains the levels and metering in Qu and SQ – https://support.allen-heath.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403616287889-General-Qu-SQ-Levels-and-Metering-in-Qu-and-SQ
    It also includes some methods for ‘trading’ headroom for output level, which is particularly useful for streaming or connections to apps (like Zoom).

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You should try setting up a dedicated past fade mix for the live stream audio feed or use a matrix mix out with the matrix mix input just being the main LR mix.
    Either will get you independent level and processing controls for the live stream audio feed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.