Two newbie questions regarding ST3 and FX

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Two newbie questions regarding ST3 and FX

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roy Roy 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Hi all

Just got a nice Qu-16 Chrome as I make the move from analogue to digital. I have a couple of basic questions:

1) At the next gig I want to plug in my iPod or Z3 and play music before and between bands. I was planning on using ST3 for this as it’s convenient and accessible. What is the procedure for this? And how do I switch seamlessly from the playback music into the live band when they start playing?

2) I am fairly comfortable with the FX using them as mix returns, but I am a bit confused by how I can insert FX into each channel as needed. Can you only have four FX running concurrently? I tried, for example, loading an FX from FX3 and using it as an insert on that channel only by pressing “insert” and adjusting the wet/dry mix. This seemed to work, but what I can’t figure is how to use FX3 with another effect, for another channel. I guess I’m saying can each channel have its own FX?

Sorry for what seems like fairly basic questions, but I’ve trawled the manual and this site but can’t find an answer (well, not in terms I understand at least 🙂 )

Many thanks in advance.

Roy

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

You’re limited to four FX, I’m afraid. GLD, iLive and dLive have more. Insert and channel return FX routing types are 1:1 with their source channels. Mix returns as you know allow multiple sources.

DC

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Only 4 FX DSPs…

For the iPod, just have the iPod fader up on the custom layer with most of the band…

Profile photo of croydon_clothears
    croydon_clothears
    Participant

Hi Roy,
    I happily manage PA gigs with just 4 FX engines even with some horrendously complex band set-ups.
    Typically…
    FX 1 for general Vocals, maybe a Classic or Hall model with 1.5-2.5 seconds decay.
    FX 2 for otherwise dry instruments like snare, horns DI strings/acoustic guitars etc – usually EMT + echo or a warm medium-size Hall.
    FX 3 I keep for delay FX specific to individual songs.
    FX 4 is usually ADT or Chorus, again song-specific.
    I manage levels through the FX sends with the FX return buses nominally set at unity (0db) and then store the settings either in rehearsal or on the sound-check with a unique Scene Memory for every song. This is actually far faster than you might think!
    Songs with an FX change (for instance backing vocal ADT on the chorus) can be managed through muting on soft-keys.
    I would also suggest setting up your mixer with a global FX Mute on one of the soft-keys.
    The ability to kill all reverb/delay instantly between numbers can only be truly appreciated when you’re out there doing the gig!
    Enjoy your new QU-16, as you explore its immense possibilities, especially if you’ve been analogue until now, you will find it a truly liberating experience.
    Enjoy!

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

That’s great stuff – thanks everyone.

Croydon, your post intrigued me and inspired me all at once. The idea of saving two of the FX slots for songs is a great idea as the band I’ll be working with is a covers band with a set list spanning 3 decades, and some of the songs vocals could really benefit from different reverbs.

When you say you manage level through the sends, I’m not sure how to do this with FX3 and FX4 as I would usually use Mix>return on the back panel, but FX3 and FX4 don’t have a dedicated FX mix bus bus like FX1 and FX2?? What is your workflow with this?

Many thanks again – it’s been a great help and just makes me want to get to use it quickly like an impatient child at Xmas!

Roy

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

You can either use a spare Mix (assuming they aren’t all being used for foldback) or use Channel->Return where possible

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

I’ll only be needed at most 4 monitors (as the lead vocals are shared – they share the same monitor mix as well), so plenty to share. Not sure how to allocate FX3 or FX4 to a mix channel though. I think the manual is a good reference guide, but not so good for a newbie like me – walk throughs of common tasks would be appreciated. Speaking of which, is there any formal training on this mixer anywhere in the South East of the UK? I’d happily pay….

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Decide which mixes you’ll use as FX3/4 (I’d suggest 1&2, leaving higher mixes available for foldback etc – it keeps things in order on the right)
    Then go to the FX, select Mix->return and select Mix1 (or 2) in the same manner.

Then you have Fx1/Fx2/Mix1(FX3)/Mix2(FX4)/Mix3(VoxFB)/….

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Page 58 “Patching the FX”

From Effects, select “Back Panel”; on the left select “Mix>Return”; in the middle, select “Mix 9&10” (for example)

“Apply” to confirm.

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Ahh – got that, thanks. That was exactly how I was experimenting last night. May aim is to get as much done as I can before I even get to the venue… then it’s all about balance and a little but of tweaking. I am often astounded at just how muddy the sound is with most pub/small venue gigs. I did my very first one a couple of weeks ago on a Yamaha analogue desk and managed to get something better in a matter of minutes, and it was commented on by the audience. And with the QU-16, it will be much more like working with my DAW (Ableton) which I use to produce my own music with a friend – it has a very familiar feel, so the workflow is just something I need to learn and perfect.

Was also glad to have gotten the QU Mixing Station Pro to work with desk straight out of the box. Kinda irks me that A&H don’t do Android as I resent the inflated prices Apple charge for their kit (don’t deny it’s well made though), so very happy to have a least some of the functionality to use on my Galaxy Pad.

Thanks again everyone. Your help is very much appreciated.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

@Roy – there is a 3rd party Android app for Qu control. It’s in this thread – https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/qu-android-app-anyone-interested

You might want to read the later posts in the above link as the app has come out and gone through some changes. I’m not a user myself but the response to the app has been positive.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think that’s the one he’s got!

Profile photo of Roy
    Roy
    Participant

Yes – downloaded the app from Google Play. Everything seems to work just fine from my admittedly brief play around. Can’t wait to try it for real.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.