SQ recording computers

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ recording computers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dean Dean 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

I am new to the forum and am contemplating an Allen and Heath SQ5 or Midas M32r. I have been going over the forums now for several weeks and am concerned about the reliability of multitrack recording to USB-B as I need recordings to be trouble free. Many people seem to be having a lot of trouble with this on the SQs. Or maybe I have this wrong and most of the bugs are now worked out and nothing really special is needed.

I presently have a long-in-the-tooth Presonus 24-4-2 that I’ve been using for 9 years. Though so far it has been flawless for recording reliability. I usually record 20 or so tracks for a show.

I would love to see a database that shows what laptop/drive combinations people have been using to get reliable recordings from USB-B, similar to the QU-drive database. It has been hard to tease out what does and doesn’t work. Any pointing in the right direction would be very helpful. Thanks!

Profile photo of GregTheGrate
    GregTheGrate
    Participant

Since the 1.3.2 Firmware release, I haven’t had a single glitch. Steady as a rock. Prior to that, I couldn’t use it. It’s a wonderful desk. Get a Dante card with it and the world opens up.

Profile photo of PBo67
    PBo67
    Participant

I too, come from the Presonus world (studiolive 32) that I had for 10 years, and through the forum, I waited 1 year for the SQ versions to stabilize. Now I have an SQ5 and I record 32 tracks on a Mac mini 2014 and a SSD without any worries for 4 hours.Caution at 96khz the weight of the files is very heavy.I am very satisfied for the moment.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

I can only say that 28 tracks, recording using Waves Tracks live, onto my medio 2011 Mac book Pro, has yet to fail me.
    Granted, I changed the harddrive to a SSD.

Most problems I have heard about, was due to people having all sorts of “enhancements” on their PC, like Norton or similar Antivirus, several “pc power helpers” and all kinds of programs/apps/bloatware not needed during the show.

Profile photo of Dean
    Dean
    Participant

Dante is pretty expensive for my needs. I’d rather put that money toward a laptop/drive combo that works. It would be great to have a dedicated mini laptop that stays with the sound gear like a netbook or chromebook. Is anyone using a mini laptop with success? Thanks for the responses.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.