Send SQ-7 inputs to QU-24

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Send SQ-7 inputs to QU-24

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ChillRobG ChillRobG 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

First of all our Setting: We are a big church (our church room has 1300 seats) and changed from an 48 channel analoge Mixer from MIDAS to the SQ-7 just one month ago. In another room for smaller services we use the QU-24 for half a year now.
    On Christmas Service we have a Video and Audio Streaming from the big room to the smaller one, because there are too many poeple for the big one.
    Doing it last year with two analoge Signals coming from the main mixer, this year we installed an Ethernet cable for getting all the Signals on it’s own and do a seperate mix.

We are in the preparations to do this and get all worked this evening for the first time. It works really good – thumbs up for this possibility.

Now to my Question: I understand that the Signals are send after Preamp, so you have to do the channel equlizing on the second mixer (in this case the qu-24) all again. Is there a possibility to send the Signale pre-fader, that means complete processed but just before Setting the volume? Or perhaps after-fader. The General Question: Can I Change what Signal processing should be done before sending it over the slink connection to the qu?

Profile photo of Swell
    Swell
    Participant

Hi Lomtas,

I just tested this 2 days ago with a SQ5 and a QU16. Here is what I remember. Yes they can share inputs and send them to each other over Cat5e cable. I believe the max length for SLink is 120meters. You can decide where the signals are taken under “Routing” (for example post preamp, post delay, etc)

A couple things to keep in mind are: update the Qu firmware (1.95).
    Set the gain structure on the local mixer.
    Set Clock on SQ to “SLink”.

Follow the I0 patch guide under the knowledgebase.
    Good luck.

Profile photo of Swell
    Swell
    Participant

Lomtas,

You can select or deselect “follow fader” and “follows mute.”

For a MON/FOH digital split I would prefer deselecting follow fader, and deselecting follow mute, and taking the send pre-processing as “post preAmp” on the SQ7.

For your overflow scenario, I might recommend tne opposite, keep all the processing from the SQ-7, Select “post delay”, follow fader, and follow mute. You may adjust levels for your overflow smaller room and maybe send to a Group for room processing. But that way the whole show can largely be controlled from the SQ7 in the main room. This scenario basically makes the Qu-24 a Stagebox (AR2412).

Third option. Create a Matrix on the SQ7. And send that to the QU24. EQ, Delay as needed.

Either way the boards give you both options, and you can decide. Good luck! Merry Christmas.

Profile photo of lomtas
    lomtas
    Participant

I found the described Direct Out Settings, but recognized to bad things:
    1. It is global for all Inputs the same, even if the Option is reachable from every single channel??
    2. It is global for all Outputs the same. I wish I could differ between USB and D Snake Out…

Profile photo of ChillRobG
    ChillRobG
    Participant

Hello! I might start a new thread, or raise a ticket, but this Question is close enough, and I think also answers my query, which is: Can I use an SQ7 to add 32 separate ins and 16 separate mix outs to our DM48 and still use our S7000 to control?
    Yes I do really want 80 ins and 40 outs!

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Yes…but no preamp control from dLive

Profile photo of ChillRobG
    ChillRobG
    Participant

Sweet, we’ll set the gains in soundcheck, so that’s a bonus! TY!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.