Send LR mix to the monitor

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Send LR mix to the monitor

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BGO BGO 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BGO
    BGO
    Participant

Could you please tell me from your experience what would be the best way to send the LR mix to the monitor? I’ll be performing (singing) on stage where I’ll be using my sq-5. There will be no sound engineer so I’ll need to control the FOH sound myself from the stage. I think having a separate/different mix for a monitor in this case is a bad idea, so I’d like to get the exact copy of the LR mix in the monitor. I was thinking about few options like using the A and B outputs or headphones output or maybe a matrix but I’m not sure what option is better. I’ll also need to convert the LR stereo to mono so I have both channels in the monitor, right?

Profile photo of ozdoc
    ozdoc
    Participant

Send your LR mix to Matrices, one for front of house and one for monitors. Each Matrix can then have different mixbus processing applied as required
    Alternatively set up your monitor mix layer to be post fade and set all faders at unity. Should achieve the same result.

Profile photo of Willy
    Willy
    Participant

One additional question. How do you set up monitor mix layer on SQ7?

Profile photo of ozdoc
    ozdoc
    Participant

@willy
    Select the particular monitor mix you want to by pressing a Mix key (blue keys down the Right far side). Channel faders are now representing your monitor mix.
    Assign each channel to either pre fade (not affected by LR mix faders) or post fade (monitor channel will follow LR mix faders). Do this by holding the ‘Pre Fade’ key (far left side above ‘assign’) then use the select button on each channel to assign it to either Pre or Post fade. Select button light on means it is setup as Pre fade, light off is post fade (when pressing and holding the Pre Fade button). If assigning post fade as in the OP’s situation, start with the channel faders at unity and adjust from there. Most monitor mixes though are usually set as prefade.

Make sure the mix is routed out of the SQ appropriately in the ‘I/O’ screen.

Setting a particular monitor mix to mono or stereo is done in the ‘Setup’ screen, using ‘Mixer config’ and ‘Mix Stereo’ tabs.

Profile photo of BGO
    BGO
    Participant

@ozdoc
    Thank you so much! You helped me a lot.
    The option of setting the monitor mix layer to be post fade works just fine. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.