Recording to USB drive

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Recording to USB drive

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dick Rees Dick Rees 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Drummer Tom
    Drummer Tom
    Participant

So, I bought this wonderful device thinking I could record live Without the use of a computer. I get that I can record all 16 channels plus a L/R but what I DON’T get are the 2 stereo channels! What a waste as these channels are ideal for keyboards with eating 4 other mic pre channels. I would really, really love to use it to record live but leaving these channels out or making me lug a separate computer is just silly to me.

Guess I will still need to use my software audio console rig…..

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, QuDrive recording is limited to 18 channels, but you’re free to choose which sources you wish to record. These include any channel and any Mix/Group/Mtx/Fx etc. source available. You may want to re-read chapter 11.18 in The Manual.

Drummer Tom
    Participant

So, I did read that chapter (apparently correctly) and my issue is that I want to record 18 channels (1 – 16 mics and the 2 STEREO channels that I use for Keys) and apparently the QU sees that as 20 even though you have control over ST1 and ST2 ONLY as a stereo channel. So, my wish is that I can record all of the hard input channels to a USB drive. They were so close…..

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Sure, we all want to record all physically available channels on QuDrive, but that’s physically limited to 18 (mono) channels, it can’t record 20 channels. But you’re free to pre-mix some channels and record the mix to capture all physical inputs with the available 18 recording channels. Thats a standard procedure on a Qu32, for example.

Drummer Tom
    Participant

I realize it is limited to 18. My point (and hope) is that they would extend to all hard channels as high speed use drives are common and cheap. If they can pass 18 they can pass 20…

Drummer Tom
    Participant

Hummm. USB. Apparently auto correct was turned on

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

You’re assuming the limitation is in the USB drive, not in the processing power required to write the data to disk.

Sure they might increase it, but it has always been 18 tracks on QuDrive, and a few more over USB-B for the larger desks.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…limitation could also be number of audio paths between the mixer part and QuDrive engine…
    I’m pretty sure we had seen an increase of QuDrive channels for the Qu24 and Qu32 if there wouldn’t be some kind of hard limitation.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Yes – there are a number of places the limitation could be. That the limit is the same on the 24/32, despite the additional channels on the USB-B interface does imply an internal connection limit – maybe determined by some other limit we don’t know about.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

It’s not like they hide these limitations of the qu-drive. Ya i agree getting more would be swell, especially for the 24/32 owners. But you know what you have to work with, and there are different ways to work around the limits as others have said.

Profile photo of jwave
    jwave
    Participant

I play keyboards (and mix from stage) and record my bands.

INPUT  USB-REC  INPUT DEVICE (chan used)
    ~~~~~  ~~~~~~~  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1-12   1-12     Drums (4), Bass-DI (1), Guitars (2-3), Vox/horns (2-4)
    ST1    13-14    Stage Piano (2)
    ST2    15-16    Clone-wheel Organ (2)
    15-16  17-18    Stereo-FOH Condenser Mics (2) for ambience/applause & audience experience reference

I don’t want the L/R master mix since.

On occasions where I have less than maximum guitars or vox/horns, I can add more drum mics, but I rarely bother since Glyn Johns or Kick/Snare/OH-LR suffice for my mixing needs.

On occasions where I need more channels, I can run the keyboards on ST1-Left & ST2-Left to USB 15-16, freeing up two more XLR channels for mics or DI.

If you need more channels, can you provide an input list of your typical requirements?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Dear Tom…

The simple solution is to use USB-b streaming of 24 channels to a dedicated hard drive. I use an older Seagate 500 gig drive I had laying around and got lucky that it’s fast enough to work with my Qu-16.

For Qu-drive I use Sandisk Extreme 16 gig sticks…which work flawlessly for me. I pick them up in 3 packs when I see them on sale and have a dozen or so. Total investment is probably a cuple hundred bucks. They’ve paid for themselves long since. The Seagate drive was on sale for $80.00 a long time ago.

I’d recommend searching for a compatible drive and taking advantage of the expanded track count available via USB-b streaming.. Utilize what’s there for you. It’ll be a LOT quicker than waiting for the industry to cater to your individual needs.

Profile photo of Vinu
    Vinu
    Participant

Dear Dick Rees…
    Can i use the USB-b to record multrack, which is the Seagate 5oo gig drive you mentioned.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Yes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.