Recording 48 Channels with SQ5 and Waves card

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Recording 48 Channels with SQ5 and Waves card

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mfusa mfusa 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. Hopefully, somebody can help!

I’m preparing for one of the biggest shows I’ve ever done on an SQ5, which will use up every single of it’s 48 Channels. In order to do this,
    I will have an AR2412 and a DX168 connected, as well as using 8 local inputs. I’ve got a Waves SQ Card and processing about 14 Channels using Superrack Performer and a Macbook which is working fine.
    I will also have to do a multitrack recording of all 48 input channels. Will it be possible to connect another laptop to the secondary ethernet port of the Waves Card and record all channels? And if so, how?
    In my I/O settings, I can only patch 32 inputs to the Waves Card.

Thank you in advance!
    Jacob

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Make sure you are tapping the Card tab multiple times so you can see channels 32, 64, 64-96. etc. See page 21 of the user manual.
    FWIW, I run all my inputs into SuperRack (via digital insert) whether I’m applying any processing or not. From there you can use SuperRack’s ability to send outputs to multiple locations so that you can patch channels to the SoundGrid driver running on the computer you want to use DAW on.

From a pure networking standpoint, I don’t see any reason why you can’t use the second port on the Waves Card for your DAW or just use a switch.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Oh wow!
    Thank you very much, you’ve been really helpful. I’ll give that a try tomorrow!

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Oh wow!
    Thank you very much, you’ve been really helpful. I’ll give that a try tomorrow!

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

You cannot daisy chain those two stage boxes together. The AR boxes runs at 48k and the DX boxes runs at 96k. They do not have the capability of doing any clock conversion in the stage boxes and therefore they cannot pass signal between each other.

You can use both 48k and 96k stage boxes at the same time, but each type of box will need it’s own dedicated connection to the console. One box could be plugged into the built in SLink port. But the other box would need to be plugged into an SLink I/O card inserted into the I/O card slot. Given that the SQ only has one I/O card slot however, you cannot do this and run a Waves card at the same time.

Long story short, you cannot connect AR/AB boxes and DX/GX boxes and a Waves card all at the same time on the SQ console. You will be limited to using just 48k boxes or just 96k boxes using the built in SLink plug if need the I/O card slot to run your Waves card.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Thanks for pointing this out. I could have easily missed that. As it turns out, I actually rented an AB168 and misspelled in my initial post.
    So should be all good then, right?

Thank you for your trouble-awareness, though!

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Yes. You should be fine. You can daisy chain the AR box and AB box together and plug them into the built in SLink port and still leave the I/O card slot for your Waves card.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

So I’ve got Superrack and recording running now, thanks to your tips!
    However, I only get signal on the soundgrid channels 1-32, even though in my SQ I/O settings, the direct outputs 33-48 are patched to the I/O port of the waves card.
    It should be possible to record all 48 channels though. Anyone got a clue?
    Thank you very much!

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Yes, you should be able to send all channels over the Waves IO card. I process more than 32 channels in Super Rack.
    It’s hard for me to think of where you might go for troubleshooting from here. I’d suggest maybe opening a support case with Waves and see if they can help.

I don’t work for Waves or A&H but, as a user, I’m happy to offer to take a look if we can set up a remote screen share. PM me if you want to go down this path.

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

I figured it out and I feel so dumb.
    The reason I didn’t get signal from 33 onwards was ProTool’s 32 Channel record limit. Recording seems to be working fine in Ableton, Tracks etc.

Thank you very much for the offer, that’s super generous!

Profile photo of mfusa
    mfusa
    Participant

Great to hear; you are welcome

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.