Question about Patching – I/O Patch vs Strip Assignment

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Question about Patching – I/O Patch vs Strip Assignment

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of PeterS PeterS 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of PeterS
    PeterS
    Participant

Hi all,
    First time post, so thanks for all the anticipated help.

I have what I think of as a weird situation on and SQ-6. I changed patching for an e-drum kit on the I/O screen to use IP 9/10 after making the input stereo. IP9 was previously used for another input and I patched that to IP11. This is also reflected in the Pre-amp section. But….. when I go to strip assignments, the e-drum kit still shows as IP11/12 and the IP9 is still the old input…

Can someone explain what I did wrong or how to fix this ? I would prefer to have this all neatly as a diagonal patch and group inputs on the AR2412, but might have to just live with the ‘anomaly’. My goal is to make this neat and understandable to others who will be volunteering on the sound team.

Many thanks for any advise and help

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@peters

Your question is slightly unclear but I’m wondering whether the issue/confusion is just about the difference between sockets and channels?
    Some points that may help solve the issue or help you clarify the question.

• On SQ, any input socket can be patched to any input processing channel.
    • The socket is an audio source point, which might be an XLR locally or on an expander, but could also be a single channel coming from USB or an option card. There are hundreds of possibilities here with all the local inputs, up to 128 inputs from SLink, another 128 if an SLink option card is fitted and then the 32 inputs from USB too.
    • The input processing channel (which also includes routing and level control) is the actual channel in the mixer, of which there are 48.
    • Input sockets can be patched to multiple input channels. This is sometimes used when very different sounds are used within a performance and different processing is required on the same input source. It can also be useful for monitoring or broadcast, where you might want to process the same input differently depending on the output.
    • It’s the input channel which you can name and place on a layer, rather than an input socket.
    • It’s the input channel which can be made stereo, then the sockets used as the source will need to be an odd even pairing.
    • Patching is completely free, so patching 1-to-1 (which is a great idea whenever possible!) is completely up to you.

Apologies if I’ve just misunderstood the issue though!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of PeterS
    PeterS
    Participant

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head – my confusion over Input Channels vs Sockets.

So my plan (to keep it simple for myself and for others) is to make Input Channel 9/10 linked to Socket 9/10 (on SLink) and Input Channel 11 going to Socket 11 (on Slink) and change the labels and processing via copy/paste.
    Should then be clean link of Input Channel # to Socket #.

Thanks again for the explanation and your time. Great support !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.