Qu24 LCR?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu24 LCR?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ku_coyote
    ku_coyote
    Participant

Our church is looking to get a new mixer. We are seriously considering the Qu24. Our current setup is a Left-Center-Right speaker configuration. We also have a separate Lobby feed, a Mothers room feed and an Hearing Assist Transmitter.

One option I thought about is to use the Alt Out (L+R post) to feed the lobby/Mothers/Hearing Assist, and Mix 4 for the Center.

What other options or recommendations are there for feeding an LCR system?

Mike

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I would suggest that the hearing loop needs different input from the lobby feed.

How do you currently split LCR – do you actually have three feeds, do you actually have a stereo image for the congregation?

The QU24 has matrix outputs which will do your multiple feeds better than most other systems.

ku_coyote
    Participant

We have a GL2200 and I believe the center is currently coming off the Aux 4. Hm, I think I should go dig into it more to look at our current config. It might be that Aux 3 and 4 feed the center.

Unfortunately, I inherited this setup and over the years the multitude of volunteers have done this and done that. Sigh.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

What’s the speaker rig to actually use three mixes for FOH – I rarely see a church which can actually provide stereo – althoguh I see plenty who use C for Subs

ku_coyote
    Participant

The two faders to the left of the LR Main faders are labeled Center. I am not sure if it is set up as groups or Aux on the faders, but…

The question is really what is the best method using the Qu24?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

It rather depends on what speakers (and amps/processors) you have and what room you have…

I can’t quite see in the GL2200 manual what those two faders are, but I suspect Group Masters

We use a Roland M300 – and although that displays LCR on the output we actually run in Mono (IIRC from the “left” output) – this is then fed through a processor which supplies a pair of amps with three signals:
    – Low Pass Filter for the Sub
    – High Pass for the Left hand cluster
    – High Pass for the Right hand cluster (The amp is turned up a notch further on this to compensate for the additional cable length)

We also have the option of running the same High Pass output to the fourth channel (with a 15′ delay) in the amps to provide an infill speaker for one area of the room, but we’re waiting to see if that is really needed at the moment.

Just because the Mixer can supply LCR, it doesn’t mean you’re using it – and even if you are set to use it it doesn’t mean that you are using it effectively…

I have a strong suspicion that you’re not likely to be using LCR effectively – mostly based on your description of it’s setup by volunteers, and my limited experience in working things like that out.
    It is worth figuring out what you have wired up where, what speakers are covering which seats etc.
    Then work out what you want people to hear.
    I suspect that the outputs are basically seeing the same signal, and allowing for “on the fly” balancing, which isn’t usually a good thing….

I’d also recommend talking to some of your congregants who use the loop system. Ask them what they want/need to hear. Their hearing is (by definition) not very good, so they probably want more lead vocal and a single lead instrument – they can’t pick out the rest anyway, so it just makes for a muddy sound. This is a fairly sweeping statement, but talking to a number of loop users I do the following by default:
    – Post Fade Mix, with the speech mics, video feed, CD/MP3 feed all at unity.
    – Lead vocal the same
    – Lead instrument the same
    – NO FX, it just makes it harder to hear what is happening. These are not the most musically discerning people in the room, they get better intelligibility from the dry signal, allowing them to worship with you.
    – Backing vocalists, somewhat lower, only if they carry the tune, and particularly if the lead vocalist has a tendency to just wander off their mic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.