QU MIDI Automation via Ableton Live

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration QU MIDI Automation via Ableton Live

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Waitesy Waitesy 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Area51Rocks
    Area51Rocks
    Participant

Hello to all. Just purchased a QU-16 and have been real happy with the purchase. My band uses Ableton Live to play some backing tracks to supplement our sound live. Ableton also has some MIDI automation such as lighting programming along with vocal and guitar processing in time with the backing track. So I am somewhat comfortable with MIDI programming.

I would like to be able to control the QU-16 in the same manner. One instance would be to mute the FX mute group that I have setup when a song ends in Ableton and unmute it at the start of a song. I might want to consider assigning other FX and turning those on and off at appropriate times.

I have read the MIDI protocol documentation. I’ve assigned a MIDI track in Ableton to the QU but for some reason I can’t get a response on the desk. Based on the MIDI Protocol document, Mute Groups 1 to 4 = 50 to 53. I was assuming “50 to 53” is Hex 80 to 83. So by creating a MIDI clip in Ableton live and drawing automation on CC 80 would mute and unmute mute group 1, so I thought. I did assign the MIDI channel on the QU and within Ableton. Still, no such luck.

Hopefully my explanation has been enough. I am connecting the computer to the QU via USB. I have been able to stream audio successfully.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Shane

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure which MIDI implementation you’ve read, but from the Qu MIDI Protocol given by A&H all mutes are controlled via Note ON messages (Page 4, Mute Control) not CC. So sending a 9N 50 7F should turn mute on and 9N 50 3F (all hex) turn off mute group 1. N denotes the system channel of the Qu, not sure if Ableton is 0-based (0..15) or 1 based (1..16).
    Maybe you can just record MIDI from the Qu and perform the action you want to automate, so you’ll get exactly the events you want to send.

Profile photo of Area51Rocks
    Area51Rocks
    Participant

Thanks Andreas. Great explanation. I think I have it properly setup. I’m not in front of the desk at the moment to confirm, but I believe I have the understanding now.

Shane

Profile photo of Waitesy
    Waitesy
    Participant

Hey Folks! Did you find the solution? I’m trying to Mute and Unmute FX Via Midi in Logic Pro X

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.