QU-32 Mix Monitor Problem

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting QU-32 Mix Monitor Problem

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jakie Jakie 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Hello!
    My church is using QU-32 and we have in-ear monitor system from Mix 1-4. One problem that I cannot solve after hours of exploration is my mix 3.
    Singers are using Mix 3 and they can still hear everything even after they bring fader all the way down. I set up everything the same as other mix (mix1, 2, 4) literally everything, but still doesn’t fix the problem. Would you be able to give me a wisdom?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sounds like mix 3 is set to pre fader mode. Actually for monitors pre fader is normally better. In pre fader level changes made to the main mix do not change the levels in the monitors.
    Your other mixes must be set to post fade.

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Where can I see that mode setting? I believe I set every mix in the same fader mode as I checked through every option that I can think of and set them in the same setting. They look identical in any screen I go. Would you kindly guide me where to go and check and change this right?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The quick easy way to check PRE POST on a mix is to select the mix then hold the PRE button on the middle left side of the mixer, all of the channel SEL button will light
    up on the channels that aer set to PRE if they don’t light that channel is POST, you can change the setting still holding the PRE button and hitting the channel SEL button to change modes.

You can also to go the routing menu when you have a mix selected and change the global PRE POST settings as well as the channel pick off points for the mix.

And…you can select channels one at a time while in the routing menu and see and change
    all the mix send settings for the selected channel.

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Thank you very much!
    I tried already and they are all in the pre mode. Every channel and mix send settings are in the same mode already.

And from the beginning, it is not about certain channel problem, but mix 3 only has the problem, receiving signal from every channel though “the fader in the mix 3” is all the way down, so my singers cannot properly control their monitor (mix3), but other mixs work fine…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Jakie

Are you connecting to the rear of the Qu-32 directly, or are you using a dSnake stage box, like the AR2412 or AB168?
    If you’re using dSnake, check the patching is correct in the ‘Setup > I/O Patch > dSnake Out’ screen (more details here – https://www.allen-heath.com/content/uploads/2023/06/Qu-Mixer-Reference-Guide-AP9372_10.pdf#page=72&zoom=auto,-274,60).

A few other things to check and try

• If connecting directly from the rear of the Qu-32, double/triple check you’re using the Mix 3 output socket
    • Try muting or changing the level of Mix3 on the Qu-32 itself
    • If the IEM systems are wireless, ensure receivers are not picking up from other transmitters!
    • You mention the singers are bringing their own fader down, so if they’re using Qu-You, check the correct Mix is selected

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Thank you for the detailed response!! I really do appreciate it!

I’m using direct out from QU32 itself. And both Qu-you and fader control on the board itself do not respond properly. It is wireless IEM, but I don’t think it is receiving from other transmitters since others are working fine regardless muted/unmuted alike…! And other transmitters are not bothered by anything or making any change to one another. It is very frustrating…!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Keith’s post does open up the question as what fader are they bringing down, the main mix fader or the mix 3 send level fader.

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

The problam still stands still…
    I was talking about the mix 3 send level fader.
    For example, let’s suppose that my mic 1 is in channel 1. And mix 3 send level fader for my mic 1 (channel 1) is all the way down. This should stop sending sound to mix 3 as they are set as pre-fader. But in mix3 (monitor), I can still hear mic 1 (channel 1)….

Profile photo of Tom
    Tom
    Participant

Do those mics sound ‘clean’ in Mix 3 or can you hear an effect?

If so, you might be sending an FX return to Mix3.
    If your mic 1 is fed into an FX engine, and that FX’s return is turned up on Mix3,
    then you’ll hear the mic 1 effect in Mix 3.

Have you tried with an empty scene from scratch already?
    Is the behaviour the same then?

Can you see faders move on the board (Mix 3 / inputs layer selected) when they turn faders up/down in the app?

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Thanks for the response!

Mic 1 FX is only going to mix1, not to mix3. But mix 1 has no problem at all, while mix3 has the problem.

I haven’t tried from the scratch yet just because everything is working fine except for mix3.

And yes! I can see the fader is moving in response to Qu-You/Qu-Pad app as well, but the sound doesn’t change. I can hear the slight volume change according to the fader level, but it keeps making sound when I bring the fader all the way down to the bottom…! That is the persistent problem..!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you turn down or mute the MIX 3 master fader is there still any audio on that mix?

Is there just one input cable connected to the IEM transmitter for MIX 3?

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Imterestingly, yes. I can stil hear audio on mix 3 though I turned down the master and even mute the master of mix3, whereas mix 1 is responding well to master level and master mute. Did you figure out something here? This is really a pain in the butt.

Profile photo of Jakie
    Jakie
    Participant

Anymore help from anyone…!? TT

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Maybe patched to a matrix in error ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.