Qu-16 stereo linked channels sum to mono on AUX sends

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Qu-16 stereo linked channels sum to mono on AUX sends

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ianhind ianhind 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Like the title says, if I stereo link channels together and send them on a stereo aux, the L&R are summed to mono.

I ran IEM’s for a performer and his piano was stereo linked, but when sent down AUX 5-6 it was summed to mono and he wasn’t happy.

Am I missing something here?

Profile photo of Tommy
    Tommy
    Participant

I had the same issue one time. Did you pan each one on the input channels? One channel would have to be panned hard left, and the other would have to be panned hard right. If you didn’t do that, you were sending both channels as mono to a stereo mix out. Once I panned mine like that, I had the stereo I wanted.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

…and do not forget that there are independent pans for LR and each stereo mixes!

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Yes, when linking channels it automatically pans hard L&R.

My mains were properly spread, but stereo AUX was mono.

I feel like this isn’t right. Even if there’s a setting to make this work, logically you would think stereo mains would automatically stereo aux as well.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Well, there are enough people using the stereo Auxes as an extra mono mix (just taking one side) that I’m not sure it’s an no-brainer…

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

I’ve looked in the Routing Mix Sends page, the directly in the Mix Send settings page, and there is obviously the Output Balance on both.

But there’s no option to ensure a stereo linked channel with stay stereo on a stereo mix send.

How have people had success with this? I must be missing something, because mine is 100% mono on both channels

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

I think Andreas is on the money here.

Each Mono->Stereo crosspoint has a pan control. Each Stereo->Stereo crosspoint has a balance control. In the case of a linked mono pair to stereo crosspoint, there are two pan controls which are inversely linked, effectively giving you a ‘width’ control. As Andreas mentioned, each stereo mix will provide each of its sources an independent pan or balance control as appropriate. The exception being groups, which are designed to follow LR.

Select your stereo mix on the ‘Mix’ keys, select the left side of your source on the ‘Sel’ keys, then turn the Pan control on the superstrip all the way to the left. This should not affect the pan on your LR mix.

Output balance is something entirely different.

DC

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Thanks David, I’ll give that a try when I’m back on that console.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.