QU 16 – ST3 input – how do I mono this

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions QU 16 – ST3 input – how do I mono this

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OK1 OK1 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OK1
    OK1
    Participant

I manage a Qu 16 digital mixer. Our mixing strategy is mono, so no panning on any mono inputs. Therefore same signal goes to main outputs Left and Right.

When I send a stereo input into the 1/8th inch ST3 input, such as the output from a mobile phone, or laptop, I’d like this to be mono, and I have not figure out a way to achieve this. Maybe it exists and I have not read enough of the manual.

The approach I had in mind which I know will work, would be to convert this to two mono inputs, via a suitable cable, pair these two mono inputs – i.e link them together, and adjust the panning, to make it mono. this I know will work, but that’s using up two channels.

It would really be nice if I could use ST3 which is the perfect input for my needs, and just mono it.

Thanks in advance. Highly appreciated.

Profile photo of Lee7
    Lee7
    Participant

There is no real provision to do the above from within the desk, I don’t think so anyway.

Profile photo of garyh
    garyh
    Participant

With a stage box you can send L+R to an output. Without a stage box you would need to make or buy a stereo to mono outboard device.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you have a system processor DSP look at doing the mono summing in the DSP.
    If your not already using the ALT OUT you can select L+R mono summing as an ALT OUT option.
    Or….look up “Rane why not to Y” they a the schematic for a passive summing circuit using resistors, it works
    well I’ve made a few, you can fit the parts into an XLR connector.

Profile photo of OK1
    OK1
    Participant

Thanks everyone, your responses are highly appreciated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.