Qdrive primer or documentation?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Qdrive primer or documentation?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’ve read a one-page knowledge base pub (“best practices” pub) dedicated to the qdrive, but I am still pretty confused. I seem to get things set up and recording, but I can’t get any playback sound.

Is there a pretty thorough primer on the Qdrive specifically somewhere?

Profile photo of Jimmydrummer
    Jimmydrummer
    Participant

Not sure. There are details on recording with the Qu drive in the manual.

To get it to playback through the desk you need to change the inputs of the desk from “local” to “Qu Drive”. Each recorded channel will play back through it’s respective channel strip. You change the desk inputs by going to the “processing screen” and then click on the left hand side of the screen and press the FN button. You then should be given the choice of Local or Qu drive input. If the input pot is blue then it’s set to Qu Drive.

The only other thing to be sure of, is that you’ve formatted the hard drive using the Qu mixer before recording.

Hope this helps. My rough live gig recordings have come out pretty good. I had a few playback issues on the mixer itself (a few drop outs and pauses) but these seemed fine when I played them back on my computer. I think that proves that the recording works well but the mixer isn’t great at playing all the channels back. – That was with version 1.2 though so it may well be better on version 1.31.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Hmmm…yes, I had found that screen, but no audio is indicated. Either I didn’t record anything, or I’m still not getting playback set up right. Hard to tell which.

Thank you!

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

JimmyDrummer gave you all the right steps assuming that you had already selected the recording and hit play.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’ll try again this weekend…I clearly am not doing something right, but I don’t know what.

Profile photo of Jimmydrummer
    Jimmydrummer
    Participant

Ah.. just one other thing. When you press record, the record button flashes and it says “arming” (a sort of standby) you then expect to press “record” again to get the recording started, you don’t – you have to press the “play” button to start recording.

When you thought you were recording was there a counter at the bottom of the screen? As this will indicate the elapsed recording time. If there’s no counter you probably didn’t start the recording – hence the play explanation above.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Ok, I got it working. I’m not sure what I had been doing wrong, but somehow I wasn’t getting signal out.

One thing that would have helped diagnose this would be if the meters on the Qdrive page reflected what was recorded, not what was selected for playback: that would have cleared up for me whether or not I had something to play back.

So I gather that there is a pretty easy way for the user to think that their recording is full of all the effects and EQ that the channels were set for: on playback, the same effects are applied to each channel, but the recording is dry. Or at least I think it’s dry, I.e. Without the reverb, compression, EQ, gate, HPF?

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

the multitrack recording source is “after preamp” “pre dynamics, eq and effects!”

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Yeah, I remembered that, along with a brief discussion of how it might be nice to allow the user the option to choose where in the chain the tap was taken from.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.